An easy and delicious make-ahead breakfast recipe, Bircher Muesli is made with oats, dried fruit, and nuts soaked in yogurt.
I have been meaning to share this recipe for almost a year now when I fell in love with Bircher Muesli on a cruise! One of my best tips for while traveling is to start your day with a healthy breakfast.
Frequently asked questions:
It originated in the swiss alps
This will keep up to 3-4 days
Ideal for prepping ahead of time, Bircher Muesli is the original overnight refrigerator oats! You can either store it in individual glass jars or just keep it all in one container and scoop it out in the morning.
For added crunch and tartness I like to add in shredded apples and a splash of fresh lemon juice.
We always have our favorite Bob’s Red Mill Muesli on hand which I love using because it is unsweetened. The dried fruit gives it just the right amount of natural sweetness and the nuts and seeds add tons of protein and nutrients.
My boys love topping it with fresh berries before eating but it’s delicious with sliced bananas or as is.
Your spoon is waiting.
Bircher Muesli (Swiss Oatmeal)
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Muesli
- 2 cups plain low fat yogurt
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 apple shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh berries optional garnish
- Place the first five ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or up to overnight to let muesli soften.
- In the morning or when you’re ready to eat, serve with fresh berries.
Disclosure: I am honored to be in a long term partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.