Yogurt is the secret to this moist and delicious Blueberry Oatmeal breakfast bread. Leftovers make a fantastic french toast!
When it comes to healthy holiday baking, yogurt is your friend. Not only is yogurt an excellent source of calcium, protein and Vitamin D but it adds moisture and texture to pancakes, muffins and more.
If you’re looking for an easy edible holiday gift or a homemade treat to give as a hostess gift, Blueberry Oatmeal Bread is the answer. In a time of year when we often find ourselves knee-deep in fudge, cookies, and egg nog, it is nice to receive a gift that you can dive into without any guilt.
Another idea? Make a few loaves ahead of time and freeze to get a head start on the season. Not giving it away? Slice and freeze individually wrapped servings in plastic to pop in the microwave when you need a fast and nutritious breakfast or snack to go.
Your skinny jeans are waiting.
Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick cooking)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup Flax seed meal (flour would work as well)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups low fat plain yogurt (such as Stonyfield)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bread pan with non-stick spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, oats, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric stand mixer, beat together yogurt, oil, vanilla and eggs over medium speed. Slowly add dry ingredients until just combined then remove from mixer.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries then pour batter into the bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before serving or wrapping as a gift.