This easy Boston baked beans side dish recipe, is made with canned navy beans, onion and bacon baked until bubbly in a tangy vinegar-molasses sauce.
My husband was born and raised in Boston and I lived there for 9 years so this baked beans recipe is a long time coming. Don’t worry, I promise it was worth the wait.
Hearty, comforting and great for prepping ahead of time, these easy to make baked beans is one of those crowd-pleasing side dishes that you know will always be a hit.
The secret to my Boston baked beans recipe is all the sauce. Sweet, tangy and a slight kick of heat, my molasses-based sauce is made with a variety of staples you probably already have on hand including ketchup, Dijon mustard and Nature’s Intent Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
To keep the beans creamy and moist, I top the entire pan with pieces of bacon before baking until golden brown and bubbly. The smoky bacon is the perfect balance to the sweet molasses and acidic vinegar.
The ultimate party dish for feeding a crowd or easy weeknight side dish for serving with burgers or grilled chicken, I guarantee your friends and family will go crazy for these easy to make Boston baked beans. Looking for a slow cooker version? Check this recipe out!
Your fork is waiting.
Oven Baked Boston Baked Beans (With Video)
- 4 cups navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Nature's Intent Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 8 slices bacon cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the beans and onion in a 9 x 13 baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the next 9 ingredients (molasses through cayenne) and pour mixture over the beans and onion. Top with bacon pieces and bake until warm and bubbly, about 45 minutes.
- Note: If you want crispy bacon on top, stick the pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: Nature’s Intent Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has compensated me for my time to create this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Check out my Pinterest board to see more of my recipes!