Ripe peaches and hearty oatmeal add flavor and texture to this moist and delicious gluten free bread.
Peach season is a beautiful thing, isn’t it? One of my favorite summertime traditions is eating a freshly picked peach over the sink and savoring every juicy, messy bite. The floral aromas and honey-scented notes of a perfectly ripe peach are utterly intoxicating and well worth the wait all year long.
Seasonal eating is a lesson I learned early on from my mother who would bring me along on trips to the farmers market or local farm stands while growing up. Despite eating the rainbow in fruits and vegetables throughout my childhood, I struggled with childhood obesity up until my early 20’s when I decided to make permanent healthy lifestyle changes and ultimately achieved long term weight loss success.
Whether you’re gluten free or not, the recipe is 95% the same: simply swap out your favorite flour (I love whole wheat pastry flour) for the gluten free all purpose baking mix. If you’re baking for a classroom or hosting a party, this is a great bread to make that everyone can enjoy regardless of gluten allergies.
No peaches on hand? No problem. Replace with diced nectarines, blueberries, bananas or raspberries. By adding fresh fruit and oatmeal to the mix, you add back nutrients and fiber that are often missing from gluten free mixes. Ginger and peaches are one of my favorite flavor combinations but you can use cinnamon if you don’t have ginger on hand.
Don’t forget to check out these other tasty back to school ideas:
Chocolate & Carrots – Healthy Red Velvet Smoothies
Texanerin Baking – Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
Dinners, Dishes and Desserts – Tomato Balsamic Ravioli
Table for Two – Lightened Up Chicken Salad Sandwich
Country Cleaver – Raspberry Peach Fruit Leather
All Day I Dream About Food – Guilt-Free Fig Newtons
Bran Appetit – Almond Crusted Chicken Tenders
Peach Oatmeal Bread
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose baking flour or regular flour
- 1 cup gluten free oats old fashioned or quick cooking
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low fat yogurt (plain,peach or vanilla)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup diced peaches thawed if frozen
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree and grease a bread pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and salt.
- In a stand mixer or separate medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the peaches and pour into bread pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Disclaimer: I was not compensated to write this post. The giveaway has been sponsored by Partnership for a Healthier America and All-Clad.