This easy, delicious side dish of carrots and green beans roasted in olive oil and za’atar is perfect for spring entertaining or a simple weeknight dinner.
Earlier this spring we celebrated Passover at my mother’s new house just a mile away. It’s actually pretty funny because my mother isn’t Jewish and neither are all of her relatives who take part in our annual Seder.
Although my grandmother, Ema Ljuba, was conducting her own Seder miles away in California, she was with us in spirit the minute I opened my mom’s front door and smelled Ema’s Famous Beef Brisket.
One of my favorite parts of the Seder is when the youngest child in the room gets to recite the Four Questions of Passover. Here’s a photo from Jacob’s first seder four years ago.
Can we discuss those cheeks?
Roasted carrots and green beans could not be easier.
Trust me, juggling two little ones and trying to get ready for a major holiday requires only the easiest recipes.
In addition to this side dish, I also brought my traditional Middle Eastern/Lebanese Green Salad dressed with lemon, mint and more za’atar. These smoky, nutty flavors really bring out the fresh, bright flavors of vegetables.
Fancy enough for Easter dinner, easy enough for a quick weeknight meal and delicious enough for any time of year – I hope your family loves it as much as mine did.
Your fork is waiting.
Za'atar Roasted Carrots and Green Beans
- 1 pound carrots peeled & sliced vertically
- 1 pound green beans trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons za'atar divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and have two large baking sheets ready to go.
- Using two large bowls or resealable plastic bags, fill one with carrots and one with the green beans.
- Drizzle each bowl with half of the remaining ingredients: olive oil (two tablespoons for each), za'atar (one tablespoon each), salt (1/2 teaspoon each) and pepper (1/4 teaspoon each.)
- Toss both batches to coat and spread on to even layers in two separate baking sheets.
- Place carrots and green beans in the oven and roast until nicely browned: 15-20 minutes for the green beans and 20-25 minutes for the carrots.
- Remove from the oven and serve separately or in one dish.