Greek Spinach Rice is a 15-minute side dish recipe made with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. Perfect for serving with roast chicken, grilled lamb or broiled fish.
In my recent reader survey, many of you told me you’re in need of more vegetarian recipes and quick side dish recipes. Well, guess what, friends? I’m killing two birds with one stone with this Greek Spinach Rice recipe!
Made with less than 5 ingredients, including several pantry ingredients, this entire rice dish comes together in just 15 minutes.
To start, simply sauté onion until translucent in a little butter or olive oil.
Next, add the rice that you’ve rinsed in running water to remove excess starch. Toasting the rice for a minute or so before adding in the liquid adds a bit of a nutty aroma to the final dish.
For added flavor, I like to cook the rice in chicken broth – either homemade or canned. Then, right before serving, I stir in a bunch of spinach just until it wilts.
Frequently asked questions:
What type of rice should I use?
I like to use long-grain, enriched, par-boiled white rice such as Uncle Ben’s. You can use any type of rice but follow cooking instructions as cook time may vary.
Can I use another grain instead of rice?
Absolutely, this recipe is more of a method. Feel free to make it with quinoa, orzo, freekeh or farro.
How can I make this dish vegan?
Simply swap out the butter for olive oil and use vegetable stock or water instead of chicken stock.
What should I serve with this rice?
We love serving it with grilled lamb, roast chicken or salmon but it’s delicious with just about anything!
How long will this dish last in the refrigerator?
It will stay good for up to 5 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Can I use frozen spinach?
Absolutely – fresh or frozen both work!
If you don’t have spinach on hand, fresh or frozen peas would be great as well.
Your fork is waiting.
Greek Spinach Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup long-grain enriched white rice (rinsed)
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 4 cups spinach (raw or 2 cups frozen)
- ¼ cup minced dill
- minced scallions (optional garnish )
- Heat butter over medium heat then add onion to the pan along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute onion until translucent then add in rice. Toast rice for about 60 seconds until you can begin to smell it.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan along with another pinch salt and pepper. Stir once then bring to a boil. Place lid on pan then reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes with lid on then stir in spinach to wilt right before serving. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste. Stir in dill and garnish with minced scallions before serving,
Want more healthy side dish recipes? Head over to Pinterest!
This dish is so delicious! I love the lemon flavor and the spinach is a great addition. I can’t wait to make it again.
I made this today for the first time and I absolutely loved this! It’s so quick and easy to make with not a lot of ingredients… my kind of recipe! I will definitely be using this again. I added chicken breast pieces to mine to make it a meal and it blended perfectly! Thanks so much!!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!!!
I was trying to use up some spinach in a way my non-spinach eating bf would consume, lol. This was perfect! Thanks so much. Glad I came across this! Nothing heavy or overstated-just right.
Oh good I’m so glad you enjoyed!!!
That is not Greek spinach with rice. Try changing the amount of rice to about 10%-15% of the weight of spinach .Do not use butter , use olive oil and add 1 tbsp of tomato paste per 2lbs of spinach.
Thanks Eve – that sounds delicious!