Roasting is one of my favorite cooking techniques for vegetables, especially in the colder months when a little extra heat from the oven is welcome. Unlike boiling, roasting prevents any of the nutrients in the vegetables from escaping into the water. More importantly, roasting is a fabulous way to develop the flavor of vegetables into a sweet, tender and smoky side dish. In the Spring, I love to roast asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. (Ok and perhaps a little lemon juice before serving.) In the Fall, I roasted cubed butternut squash with warm spices like cinnamon and cumin. In the Summer? Well let’s be honest, the grill replaces the oven in the Summer.
Not familiar with Herbes de Provence? This classic spice blend is a mixture of oregano, marjoram, thyme, lavender, rosemary and sage. If you don’t have it on hand, you can easily use any combination of those spices. It is also readily available in every grocery store or spice shop. For a few additional recipes using this delicious spice mixture, I’d like to recommend my Garlic and Herb Grilled Steak, Herb Roasted Apples, Carrots and Onions or my Garlic Roasted Sausage and Eggplant.
Your fork is waiting.
Roasting is a fabulous way to develop the flavor of vegetables into a sweet, tender and smoky side dish.
- 1 large eggplant cubed
- 2 large red peppers cubed
- 1 cloves head garlic *skin on! about 12
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tbs Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chopped eggplant, red pepper and whole garlic cloves in a large ziploc and coat with olive oil, Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Seal and shake well to combine.
- Line a large baking sheet with tin foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour vegetables on the tray and spread out so that they are in an even layer.
- Roast for 25 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- *Garlic will roast inside of the skin and pop out easily with a fork once cooked.
Excellent source of Vitamin C and A.