This satisfying and delicious kale salad is packed with sun-dried tomatoes, green olives, roasted nuts and sharp feta.
One of my favorite places to work remotely is the Downtown Market here in Grand Rapids. Just a few years old, it is packed with stalls of locally owned and operated businesses selling everything from tacos to pies to sushi and more. During a recent visit, I grabbed a kale salad for lunch from Relish Green Grocer filled with green olives, nuts, and feta. Immediately, I was inspired to recreate it at home.
Of course, in true Liz fashion, I can never just let a nut be a nut so I tossed them in coconut oil and warm Indian spices and made a quick batch of my Indian-Spiced Mixed Nuts. They would be just as delicious toasted dry or with a little olive oil and salt. Feel free to mix and match with your favorite spices.
If you’re using high-quality, fresh nuts like these beauties I got to sample on my Diamond of California farm tour, there really is very little you need to do but I just couldn’t help myself. What can I say, I am a sucker for garam masala.
The secret to a good kale salad is taking a minute or two to massage the leaves in the olive oil and salt. Dry kale on it’s own is a little stiff and hard to chew. Massaged kale coated in silky olive oil and tangy lemon juice is food from the gods. There is a difference and your salad is worth the moment spent to take it to the next level.
As an added bonus, the sun-dried tomatoes and lemon juice provide a hefty dose of Vitamin C which help your body absorb the iron in the kale. Win win.
Your fork is waiting.
Kale Salad with Toasted Nuts and Feta
- 6 cups kale chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes oil-packed
- 4 ounces feta crumbled
- 10 large green olives thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Indian-Spiced Mixed Nuts or dry-roasted Diamond of California Sliced Almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Use your hands to gentle massage the kale until it is evenly coated with the vinaigrette.
- Toss in sun-dried tomatoes, feta, green olives and nuts.
- Check for seasoning and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste before serving.