This hearty Lebanese-inspired bowl is packed with lemony chicken tawook, creamy cucumber yogurt sauce and hummus.
In case you haven’t noticed, I am all about the bowl dinners these days! Versatile, nutritious and packed with flavor, I love getting creative and finding new ways to use whatever veggies, meats or leftovers I have on hand.
One of our go-to week night dinner recipes is my Sheet Pan Lebanese Shish Tawook Chicken. My husband and kids love the lemony chicken and I love how easy it is to make.
Whenever I make the chicken, I always double up so that I have leftovers for lunch and/or dinner the next day. In fact, these leftovers are exactly what inspired me to create these tasty bowls filled with creamy cucumber laban yogurt sauce, za’atar seasoned tomatoes and hummus.
My kids love the creamy yogurt sauce made with lemon, garlic and mint and I love how it cools down the chicken hot out of the oven. Hummus is a no-brainer and you’re free to use store-bought or homemade.
The base of the bowl is chopped romaine and your grain of choice. We like using bulgur wheat but freekeh, quinoa, spelt or farro would work great too. You can also skip the grain entirely to keep it low carb.
Your fork is waiting.
Lebanese Chicken Tawook Bowls
- 4 servings Lebanese Shish Tawook Chicken
- 4 servings Cucumber Laban - Lebanese Yogurt Sauce
- 8 cups romaine (chopped)
- 1/2 cup hummus (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (plus more for serving)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked grain of choice (ie bulgur wheat, quinoa, freekeh, spelt, etc.) (optional)
- In a small bowl, toss together the halved tomatoes with lemon juice, olive oil, za'atar and season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- To assemble, fill each bowl with two cups of romaine and a half cup of cooked grains (if using.) Top with one serving each of the chicken and cucumber Laban. Finally, top with two tablespoons of hummus and 1/4 cup of the tomato mixture. Serve with extra lemons for squeezing before eating!
Check out more healthy Lebanese recipes on Pinterest!