A delicious savory make-ahead breakfast, this Mexican Egg Bake with Spinach, Black Beans and cheese is low carb and protein-packed.
My boys love “eggies and cheese” so just about every Sunday we prepare a make-ahead egg dish that I can quickly reheat during busy weekday mornings. The fillings depend on what’s in season and what we happen to be craving.
In the spring, I was on a major frittata kick since we were up to our knees with fresh asparagus. To satisfy my egg McMuffin craving, I started making Ham and Cheese Baked Egg Cups which the boys call egg muffins.
A few months ago, we started making my friend Kalyn’s Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake. Asher loves helping me sprinkle the scallions and cheese and I love that it’s another make-ahead breakfast I can prepare on the weekends to get ahead of the game come Monday morning.
For a south of the border spin on breakfast, this Mexican Egg Bake is packed with spinach, black beans, and sharp cheddar cheese. To serve, I love topping it with cherry tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice. A little sriracha never hurts either.
How long will these keep in the refrigerator for?
Up to 5 days.
Your fork is waiting.
Mexican Egg Bake with Beans and Cheese
- 12 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 11 ounces baby spinach (or kale)
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch scallions (minced)
- 2.5 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- avocado (cilantro and cherry tomatoes - optional garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with 2 tablespoons water plus salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high and spray with cooking spray. Sauté spinach until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans, cumin and oregano to the pan and stir until warmed through; remove from heat and pour into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Pour eggs over the bean and spinach mixture then sprinkle with scallions. Use a fork to stir mixture once so that the spinach and scallions are fully coated in the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly on top of egg mixture then bake for 35 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
- Serve warm or let cool completely before slicing and refrigerating to enjoy at a later time.