This vegan spicy pasta recipe is made with garlic, olive oil, and SUNSET® YOWZERS! Red chili peppers for a little kick. Flavor-packed and perfect for serving with grilled chicken, broiled salmon, roasted shrimp, and more.
I love to eat a light, spicy, garlicky pasta any day of the week. Bursting with flavor, this pasta is a showstopper by itself as a delicious vegan entree or served with any number of protein options. My favorites would be one of these: Mediterranean Sauteed Shrimp, Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan, or Grilled Salmon with Lemon Garlic Sauce.
These bright red and delicious YOWZERS!TM red chili peppers are sweet with a kick of heat. They pack a bit of a hotter punch than your traditional jalapeno, which makes them perfect for salsa, salads, and nachos!
SUNSET® is proud to lead the greenhouse growing industry in sustainability. Greenhouse growing allows for fresh produce all year round, in addition to saving important natural resources like water, making it a super sustainable choice.
SUNSET® is also intentional about placing its greenhouses across the US to reduce food miles and ensure quality products reach the store shelves. They also use 10 times less land than traditional field farms. SUNSET® also uses bees to make sure its flavorful fruits and vegetables grow the way mother nature intended.
How to Make Spicy Pasta
I like to prepare my vegetables first and get all the chopping and dicing out of the way. You can leave the seeds in the chili peppers for more heat, or remove them for less. I also prefer to halve my cherry tomatoes, but you can dice them smaller if you like.
After heating the olive oil, you’ll want to cook the garlic first, being careful not to burn it. The tomatoes and chilis go in next along with seasoning to taste. The sauce should be about done when the tomatoes are starting to wrinkle and burst.
Add in the cooked pasta until everything is well mixed and heated through. You can serve immediately or chill and eat cold.
Grate some fresh parmesan on top before serving and enjoy it on its own or with your favorite protein. This recipe is great hot, cold, or room temp so save leftovers for lunch!
Frequently Asked Questions
How spicy is this pasta?
The YOWZERS!TM red chili peppers that are featured in this recipe are spicier than a traditional jalapeno, but also a little sweet. Removing the seeds helps reduce the heat a bit.
How long can I store this pasta?
This dish can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Eat chilled or reheat, but you may want to add a bit of olive oil to loosen the cold noodles.
Can I use different pasta?
Sure, use whatever you have on hand. And it’s easy to make this recipe gluten free by choosing a gluten free pasta.
Why do I need to reserve some of the cooking liquid?
Water will evaporate from the pasta when it cools, so adding some of the cooking liquid back in when mixing with the sauce ensures the pasta doesn’t dry out and helps the sauce to mix evenly.
This light, quick pasta dish is perfect for weeknights when you just want to throw a few things in a pan and call it good. You’ll save time without sacrificing flavor, quality, or nutrition.
Your fork is waiting.
Spicy Pasta with Garlic and Olive Oil
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 2 YOWZERS red chili peppers (minced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (such as SUNSET angel sweet, halved)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- fresh basil (optional garnish)
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions, reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking liquid before straining.
- In a large, shallow skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add thinly sliced garlic and warm until fragrant, about 30 seconds, before adding in the minced YOWZERS red chili peppers. Heat an additional 15-30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in the halved cherry tomatoes and turn heat up to medium high. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until tomatoes begin to soften and burst, about 4 minutes.
- Add pasta to the pan along with reserved cooking liquid and toss well with garlic, chilis and tomatoes. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Garnish with basil before serving.
Disclosure: This recipe is written in partnership with SUNSET Produce. All thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible.