A low calorie, refreshing tequila cocktail, ranch water is the perfect healthy alternative to a sugary margarita. Made with just three simple ingredients, ranch water is perfect for entertaining, backyard cocktails, or girl’s night in.
On hot summer days, I’m especially a fan of simple, refreshing drinks. I’m not sure you can find a simpler or easier drink to make than a Texas Ranch Water Cocktail. Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s light, cold, and definitely hits the spot at the end of a warm day. A great alternative to a skinny margarita, If you have tequila, lime juice, and sparkling water on hand, you’re moments away from a refreshing drink with very minimal effort.
- Tequila: Made from the agave plant, tequila is sweet and spicy, varying in depth bases on the brand. For a smoother taste, pick a blanco tequila (white) or silver tequila.
- Lime juice: Acidic, bright, and fresh citrus flavor.
- Sparkling water: While it doesn’t add much in flavor, the sparkling mineral water makes the drink bubbly and adds to the refreshing nature of the cocktail. I prefer to use Topo Chico, but you can use flavored soda waters as well to dress up the drink.
How to Make a Ranch Water Cocktail
Start your Ranch Water Cocktail by making your chili lime salt rim. on your highball glass. While optional, I love the little flash of color and spicy flavor it gives.
Once your glass is filled with ice, add your fresh lime juice.
Then add the tequila.
Finish by topping the glass off with Topo Chico, or another type of club soda.
Sit back and enjoy your Ranch Water Cocktail!
Frequently Asked Questions
What the heck is ranch water?
Despite sharing the name of a favorite salad dressing, Ranch Water doesn’t contain any ranch. It’s a classic Texas cocktail from West Texas made with tequila, lime, and sparkling water. It’s exact origins are unknown.
Is ranch water the same as tequila soda?
They use the same ingredients, but may use different proportions of each.
What type of alcohol is ranch water?
Just tequila, any other type of alcohol would change the drink.
More Fun Cocktails
- Frozen Mango Margaritas
- New Orleans Hurricane Cocktail
- Rosemary and Gin Grapefruit Cocktail
- Peach Moscow Mules
- Apple Cider Sangria
Drink It, Like It, Share it!
Did you try this drink and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
With only three simple ingredients, you’ll be sipping on your Ranch Water Cocktail in no time.
Your straw is waiting.
Ranch Water Cocktail
- To rim the glasses, gently moisten the rim of four glasses with a lime wedge. Pour about ¼ cup of tajin on a plate then gently move the moistened rim around to coat with the salt. Fill each glass with ice then set aside.
- Pour two ounces tequila in each glass then top with one ounce lime juice. Stir once then top each glass to fill with sparkling water. Garnish with a lime wedge to serve.