The hurricane cocktail is a fruity rum punch made famous in New Orleans. The ultimate crowd-pleasing cocktail recipe!
When I took a trip to visit New Orleans, I fell in love with the food, the culture, and of course, the infamous hurricane cocktail! And with us being in the midst of holiday party season, I figured I would share the way I make this delicious and fun cocktail.
- Rum: Mixing light rum and dark rum blends the fresh and smoky-sweet flavors that pair wonderfully with the fresh fruit juices.
- Orange juice: Freshly squeezed orange juice is bright, citrusy, and sweet.
- Passion fruit juice: Sweet and just a little sour that balances out with the sweet and sour flavors of the orange and lime juice.
- Lime juice: Citrusy like the orange juice, but bright and acidic with sour notes.
- Grenadine: Typically made from pomegranate juice, it adds sweetness and a great burst of color to the cocktail.
How to Make New Orleans Hurricane Cocktail
To start your New Orleans Hurricane Cocktail, take a large pitcher and pour in the dark rum.
Then pour in the light rum.
Next add the orange juice.
And then pour in the passion fruit juice.
Then squeeze in the lime juice, and give everything a good stir.
Then in glasses filled with ice, evenly distribute the rum mixture, and top each glass with the grenadine.
Garnish with fresh fruit, like lime or orange slices and cherries, then serve and enjoy your New Orleans Hurricane Cocktail!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is New Orleans famous cocktail?
The Hurricane Cocktail was made in New Orleans and is one of the drinks its well known for.
Why is it called a hurricane cocktail?
The drink was created during World War II when whisky was hard to come by. The ‘hurricane’ in the name comes from the shape of the glass its usually served in, as it resembles a hurricane lamp.
Can I make a hurricane a mocktail?
Simply take out the rum! You could add a bit of club soda to make it fizzy if it’s to your taste.
- Apple Cider Moscow Mule
- White Wine Ginger Beer Sangria
- Seabreeze Cocktail
- Caribbean Rum Punch Cocktail
- Kir Royale
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
Whether you mix up a big batch for a party or simply want to celebrate the end of the week, grab your friends and mix up a batch of this delicious hurricane cocktail. It’s ideal for entertaining because you can mix it all ahead of time and just pour over ice when your guests arrive.
Your straw is waiting.
New Orleans Hurricane Cocktail
- 4 ounces light rum
- 4 ounces dark rum
- 1 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ cup passion fruit juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grenadine
- cherries, orange and lime wheels (optional garnish)
- In a pitcher, mix together rum and fruit juices. Fill four 8 ounce glasses with ice and pour mixture between glasses.
- Top each glass with 1 teaspoon grenadine before garnishing with fruit to serve.