This cheesy, whole grain pizza is topped with garlicky, rosemary roasted mushrooms packed with so much flavor your family won’t miss the meat!
Pizza is my husband’s most favorite food on the planet but I have to confess – I would take a steamy bowl of pho over a slice of pie any day of the week! But marriage is all about compromise so I’ve vowed to make pizza a bit more frequently to please my pizza-loving boys.
By nature, pizza is not the healthiest food on the planet so I made a few simple swaps to maximize the nutrition in every bite. First, instead of using traditional pizza dough made with all-purpose flour I visited a local specialty shop and found a whole grain pizza dough in the freezer section. The added fiber and protein in the dough slows down digestion which prevents a post-pizza blood sugar spike.
Second, while pepperoni might be the most popular pizza topping, it certainly isn’t winning any awards for health benefits. By piling my pizza high with roasted mushrooms, we saved ourselves hundreds of calories. To maximize the flavor in every bite, I tossed the mushrooms with fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil before roasting them in the oven. I promise, no one missed the meat.
Third, we served bowls of sharp arugula and baby mixed greens tossed with lemon juice and olive oil before eating our first slice. By filling up on leafy greens, we were able to stop after a slice or two.
But perhaps the biggest achievement of all, I finally managed to get my pizza safely from my peel to my stone without any meltdowns or mishaps. Mission: Accomplished.
No forks required.
Mushroom Pizza with Garlic and Rosemary
- 2 8 oz. packages sliced mushrooms (baby bellas or white button work well)
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (minced)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 pound ball whole grain pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ cup pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- slices fresh arugula and red onion (optional garnish)
- If using a pizza stone, place in the bottom rack of cold oven to prevent cracking.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Sprinkle mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet along with garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and chili flakes.
- Using your hands, toss mushrooms until evenly coated with oil and seasonings. Roast mushrooms for 10-12 minutes or until caramelized; set aside.
- Sprinkle corn meal or flour on a pizza peel or piece of parchment paper. Stretch out dough until you get a nice round circle.
- Using a spoon, spread pizza sauce all over the center of the dough, leaving 1 inch border for the crust. Sprinkle evenly with cheese then top with roasted mushrooms.
- Carefully transfer pizza to the pre-heated stone in the oven (or an oiled baking sheet) and bake until cheese is bubbly and golden brown, 12-14 minutes.
- Using a pizza wheel, slice into 8 pieces and serve with fresh arugula and onion slices.
Mushroom pizza is one of my all time favourites <3 I love your version with garlic and rosemary. Also the red onions are a nice touch. Gonna try it very soon! Thank you! :)
You and me both!! Enjoy!
The best part of making pizza at home is definitely that you can make it a bit healthier! Love the shrooms on this one…perfect for Pizza Friday!
It’s the truth girl. I must do it more often!
Great tip!! Thank you!
Hooray for homemade pizza! I must confess that pizza is a favorite in our house too and we have it far more than we probably should. Love these simple but flavorful toppings!
I need to stop being a chicken and make it more often!! Why is bread/dough so scary?!
I consider pizza a very healthy food and serve it often — as you said, adding a whole grain crust (and stretching it thin, if you’re ok w/ crispy crust), fresh veggies (mushrooms, peppers, olives, onions), and mozzarella cheese, then topping w/ arugula makes a most delicious meal full of vitamins, protein, fiber — and flavor!
I totally agree Bette!!
You know how much I love this! Mushrooms, garlic, rosemary and a whole wheat crust…that sounds like the perfect meal to me.
You always inspire me to cook with mushrooms more often Dara!!
That looks really good!! (except for the mushrooms, sorry) My husband and I need to start eating healthy! We try sometimes!!
Let me know what you think of it!
I saw this on Facebook this morning and have been craving it all day! This is my kind of pizza!
You’re so sweet thank you Miss!!
Alll the mushrooms!!! Yes!!!
I’m so happy you made pizza for Rich :)
This looks incredible, I’m drooling over those mushrooms!!!
Aren’t you proud of me?!! I need to do it more often. :) xo
There is never not a time that pizza doesn’t sound good – and girl, this one is a home run!
I love making homemade pizzas for my family! Great photos :D
Thank you so much my friend!! xo
Instant drool over here. I could use an entire pie right now!
I am drooling on my keyboard Liz! This pizza looks fantastic and your pictures are mouthwatering!
Thank you so much Gaby!!
I love the idea of cutting down some of the calories in pizza! I love to make it at home, but I shy away from it because it’s so indulgent. Thanks for the ideas!
I’m the same way Jessica! I’m a new convert!