Root vegetables are drizzled with olive oil then roasted until sweet and caramelized in this simple but satisfying winter vegetable soup recipe. Chipotle peppers add subtle heat and smoky flavor.
This creamy roasted root vegetable soup recipe is more of a rough guideline than a specific recipe you have to follow to a T. Ideal for any root vegetables you may have on hand, feel free to use whatever you have sitting around including potatoes, parsnips, carrots, squash and more.
The real secret to this mouth-watering soup is the balance of sweet honey, smoked paprika and tangy whole milk yogurt. For added texture and crunch, I love roasting a handful of the reserved butternut squash seeds to sprinkle on top right before serving.
If you prefer more of a kick, double the cayenne or puree a couple of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce when pulsing the roasted vegetables. Want it sweeter? Drizzle in more honey. Prefer it creamier? Stir in more yogurt.
Whatever you do, just make this soup your own. You won’t regret it.
Your spoon is waiting.
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
- 4 cups peeled butternut squash cubes
- 2 parsnips peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 1 carrot peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces
- 8 cloves garlic - whole peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- roasted butternut squash seeds optional garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl (butternut squash through cayenne) and toss until evenly coated in oil and spices. Scatter into a single layer and roast until vegetables are caramelized and tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a large soup pot and stir in the chicken broth and plain yogurt. Heat over medium high heat until warmed through. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly before serving.
- Optional: Lightly roast the reserved butternut squash seeds in olive oil, salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes while vegetables are roasting to garnish soup before serving.