A healthy version of the ballpark classic, sausage and peppers, I’ve added in lean chicken breast, hearty potatoes and plenty of peppers and onions in this easy slow cooker dinner recipe.
Being married to a Bostonian and have lived in Boston for over 9 years, I often find myself trying to recreate certain New England specialties that simply can’t be found here in the midwest. Case in point? The Fenway classic: sausage and peppers.
While we frequently grill sausage, peppers and onions, I wanted to create a “set it and forget it” slow cooker recipe that would still hit all of those flavors but wouldn’t require any hands-on work during dinner time. To lighten the dish a bit, I swapped out pork sausage for lean chicken breasts.
Instead of serving the chicken and peppers on a bun or over pasta, I decided to turn it into a one pot meal and tossed in halved white, purple and yellow potatoes from Little Potato Company. Velvety, creamy and packed with nutrients, my boys always devour them.
To maximize flavor, the chicken and vegetables are seasoned liberally with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. I also love adding in a splash of red or white wine if I have some laying around but it’s optional.
The best part? Leftovers taste even better the next day or you can freeze the entire dish for a busy weeknight at a later time.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 24 potatoes Terrific Trio or other Little Potato Company variety
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or ½ teaspoon fresh
- ½ cup dry red or white wine optional
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on Low for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and slice it on a cutting board before serving with the potatoes, peppers and onions. Garnish with fresh oregano if you wish.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Brand Ambassador for The Little Potato Company. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more healthy and easy dinner recipes, check out my Pinterest board!