The ultimate 20-minute weeknight dinner, this hearty whole grain pasta recipe is packed with sweet Italian sausage, kale and white bean.
Little ones can be picky eaters – one day they love a food, the next day they hate it. Guess what food my kids always seem to love? PASTA! I’m sure they’re not alone. Heck – who doesn’t love pasta?
While I’ve been making sausage and kale pasta for decades, it’s only been in recent years that I started adding white beans. Inspired by my Italian brother in law, white beans add a delicious creamy texture to the dish along with a hefty boost of protein and fiber.
Not only are beans a great way to stretch your food budget but they are kid-friendly (at least in my house!) and a huge source of other vitamins and nutrients. We usually use cannellini beans but any white bean would work great.
Serve with a simple arugula salad and dinner is done in about 20 minutes.
Your fork is waiting.
Sausage, Kale and White Bean Pasta
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne or any short cut pasta
- 4 links Italian turkey sausage sweet or spicy
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup white beans drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, reserving 1 cup of the starching cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, head a deep skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Remove sausage from casings and add to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage down into bite-sized pieces and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic to the sausage and heat for 30 seconds to release flavor. Stir in kale to the pot along with 1/2 cup of the starching cooking liquid reserved from the pasta. Cover pan with a lid to quickly wilt the kale.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, white beans, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Check out my Pinterest board for more healthy and easy dinner recipes!