This easy, aromatic Ginger Chicken and Rice Soup comes together in just minutes thanks to a little help from the slow cooker.
It’s true: I am mildly obsessed with Asian soups. If you follow me on Instagram, that probably won’t come as any surprise. From Vietnamese Pho to 5 Minute Wonton, there is nothing more comforting to me this time of year than a warm, aromatic bowl of Asian soup.
Over the holidays we took a little day trip to Holland, Michigan where we stumbled upon a hole in the wall Thai restaurant that served the most flavorful ginger chicken soup. My boys slurped it up in minutes and I knew right away I would need to try and recreate it when I came home.
In continuation of my partnership with Kroger to celebrate life’s every day #LittleVictories, I decided to give the restaurant version a healthy makeover by swapping out white rice with Kroger’s 90 Second Microwavable Brown Rice. Packed with protein, fiber and minerals – it’s one of the easiest ways to boost the nutrition of any meal and couldn’t be easier.
A splash of fresh lime juice and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro is my favorite way to brighten up the flavor of this Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken and Rice Soup right before serving.
No forks required.
Crock Pot Ginger Chicken and Rice Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 20 ounces chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
- 4 inch piece ginger root (cut in 1/2 inch slices)
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions (cut 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups 90 Second Rice - whole grain brown rice
- cilantro to serve
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker with the exception of the brown rice and cilantro. Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- When you're ready to serve, use a pair of tongs to remove cooked chicken breasts from the broth mixture. Set aside in a bowl and use two forks to shred; set aside.
- Heat the Kroger 90 Second Rice in the microwave according to package instructions and divide evenly between four bowls. Next, add shredded chicken breasts to each bowl.
- Pour the remaining slow cooker broth mixture over a fine mesh strained placed over a soup pot. Discard the ginger, scallion and spices left in the strainer.
- Use a ladle to cover each bowl of chicken and rice with the ginger broth. Garnish with fresh cilantro to serve.