This low carb, high protein egg bake breakfast recipe is made with Italian sausage, bell peppers, and sharp cheddar cheese. Perfect for prepping ahead of time!
Nothing makes me happier than starting a week with a healthy breakfast prepped and ready to go. Whether it’s overnight chia seed pudding, refrigerator oats or a low carb, high protein egg bake, I am all about weekend meal prep.
Versatile, affordable and protein-packed, I love turning whatever meat and veggies I have on hand into a healthy egg bake breakfast.
Most recently I found myself with a little extra Italian sausage and peppers so I decided to turn it into a breakfast bake topped with sharp cheddar cheese. Of course, any cheese would work so use what you have on hand.
If I’m prepping ahead, I’ll stash the bake in the refrigerator throughout the week and simply reheat in the microwave for about 90 seconds before serving.
Sliced tomatoes or oranges go perfectly on the side, plus a sprinkle of whatever fresh herbs you have on hand.
Your fork is waiting.
Cheesy Sausage and Pepper Egg Bake
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (removed from casings )
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray an 8x11 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown Italian sausage in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, using a wooden spoon to break the sausage into small bits. Cook until sausage is browned, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the diced peppers and onions to the pan, along with salt and pepper, and cook for additional 4 minutes.
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray and scatter the sausage and veggie mixture all over the bottom of pan in single layer.
- Whisk together eggs and water in a medium bowl then pour on top of the sausage and veggies. Sprinkle pan with shredded cheese then bake until eggs are set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or refrigerate for up to 7 days.