These sweet and smoky shredded beef sliders are topped with tangy pickled red onions. The perfect recipe for entertaining a crowd!
With outdoor entertaining season in full swing, I love nothing more than creating crowd-pleasing slow cooker recipes that I can prep ahead of time!
These tender, juicy pulled beef sandwiches are easy to make and ideal for feeding a crowd. To start, I simply rub a beef chuck roast with cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika and brown sugar. A little beer is poured on top which adds a delicious, subtle background flavor as the beef slowly cooks.
What can beef sliders be served on?
We like to serve these pulled beef sandwiches on soft rolls but you could just as easily serve them in a warmed tortilla and make them into tacos or over brown rice for a burrito bowl.
For a bit a tanginess and crunch, I pickle red onions in a little lime juice and salt. In as little as 30 minutes, the red onions turn into pickles and become sweet and tender.
How do you pickle red onions?
Prepare pickled red onions by tossing onion slices with lime juice and salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more. The more you stir the onions, the faster they pickle.
If you’re entertaining, both the pulled beef and the pickled red onions can be done at least one or two days ahead of time. This means you can relax and enjoy your guests instead of fussing over a hot grill or stove.
If you don’t have beef on hand, a pork shoulder would work great as well. Looking for an option with Chicken? Check out my Chicken Salad Sliders recipe instead.
No forks required.
Slow Cooker Pulled Beef Sliders with Pickled Red Onions
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 large red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about one lime)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker insert and top with chuck roast.
- In a small bowl, mix together all spices (salt through cayenne). Rub mixture evenly all over the beef chuck roast. Pour beer or beef broth on top and cover with lid. Heat on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- While beef is cooking, prepare pickled red onions by tossing onion slices with lime juice and salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour or more. The more you stir the onions, the faster they pickle.
- When beef is done cooking, shred apart with two forks. Serve on buns with pickled red onions.
Want more delicious slow cooker recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!