Warm up with this hearty bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup packed with potatoes, carrots and tender beef.
Soup season is in full swing and I am beyond pumped. When it comes to maintaining long term weight loss and living a healthy lifestyle, soups are one of my go-to meals for lunch or dinner.
Warm, filling and totally satisfying, a bowl of soup is a sure fire way to get more lean protein and nutritious vegetables into your diet.
Vegetable Beef Soup is a classic recipe from my childhood that my mom still makes quite frequently. While we can’t always have dinner together every night anymore, making this soup for my boys makes me feel like we are together in one room (even if we aren’t!)
A few other family favorite soups include Lemony Chicken Soup with Greens and Lemony Lentil Soup with Spinach. Are you starting to figure out how I came up with The Lemon Bowl?
Traditionally we use carrots, potatoes, celery and peas in this vegetable beef soup recipe but any veggies you have on hand would work great. Try using parsnips, sweet potatoes, corn or even zucchini.
Pro Tip: Before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs such as minced parsley or basil. Using fresh herbs as a garnish is a great way to perk up any bowl of soup.
Your spoon is waiting.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound beef stew meat (or sirloin cut in 1 inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 3 celery stalks (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose steak seasoning
- 2 russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 32 ounces beef broth (low sodium)
- 32 ounces V8 juice or tomato juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- fresh parsley (garnish)
- ½ cup cooked barley (hull-less or regular) (Optional)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or a little oil if you’re not using a non-stick pan.
- Sprinkle beef with half of the salt and pepper then add to hot pan. Sear beef on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan along with the remaining salt and pepper. Sauté until veggies soften, 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in Worcestershire, thyme, steak seasoning and potato cubes. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour beef broth and V8 into the pan along with reserved beef cubes then bring to a boil. Stir in frozen vegetables then bring back to a boil.
- Cover pot with a lid then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes before serving with fresh parsley. Add optional barley in.
Want more hearty soup recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!
When do I add the beef back into the soup after browning and setting it aside? Thanks!
So sorry about that – I just revised the recipe but you add it in with the broth!! Thanks so much for checking!
On a bitterly cold, snowy NJ day, this soup, served with Italian-bread-warm-from-the-oven, was SENSATIONAL……..I. Taste, nutrition, and spirit-lifting. Thank you.
I’m so so glad!!!
My favorite healthy soup recipe is Tuscan Vegetable Soup.
I’m trying this recipe today!
I hope you love it!!
My favorite soup is Traditional Chicken Soup with matza balls. I serve it with carrots and small pieces of the chicken… “jewish penicillin” !!
Your beef & veg sound so good, will try it soon. I would love to add barley.
The crusty bread is Mandatory… ummm love bread!!
This soup looks amazing! I used a swiss diamond pan this summer and I feel in love!
I love making chili with ground turkey and veggies!
this sounds delicious! i’m curious as to what the V8 adds instead of doing just beef broth, but i can’t wait to try this recipe out!