Warm up with this hearty bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup packed with potatoes, carrots and tender beef.
Soup season is in full swing and I am beyond pumped. As I get closer and closer to my goal weight (10 pounds to go!), soups are one of my go-to meals for lunch or dinner. Warm, filling and totally satisfying, a bowl of soup is a sure fire way to get more lean protein and nutritious vegetables into your diet.
Vegetable Beef Soup is a classic recipe from my childhood that my mom still makes quite frequently. Admittedly, Michigan winters can be brutal so to this time of year we eat soup quite frequently.
One of my mom’s secrets to developing rich flavor is to take the time to sear the beef before adding additional ingredients. Instead of wasting hundreds of calories by using oil, I prefer to invest in high quality, safe non-stick pans like this beautiful Swiss Diamond Chili Pot that I am giving away today. As you can tell, a dark, brown crust formed without a single drop of oil.
To be clear, I have nothing against oil. I firmly believe that healthy fats are your friend. However, I would rather finish a dish wish a drizzle of high quality olive oil than coat a pan with hundreds of calories that you won’t even taste in the final product.
Besides, we all know that soup tastes best with warm, crusty bread. Why not save your calories for the good stuff?
Your spoon is waiting.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound beef stew meat or sirloin cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose steak seasoning
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 32 ounces beef broth low sodium
- 32 ounces V8 juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- fresh parsley garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or a little oil if you're not using a non-stick pan.
- Sprinkle beef with half of the salt and pepper then add to hot pan. Sear beef on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan along with the remaining salt and pepper. Sauté until veggies soften, 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in Worcestershire, thyme, steak seasoning and potato cubes. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour beef broth and V8 into the pan along with reserved beef cubes then bring to a boil. Stir in frozen vegetables then bring back to a boil.
- Cover pot with a lid then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes before serving with fresh parsley.