Warm up with this hearty bowl of Vegetable Beef Soup packed with potatoes, carrots and tender beef.
Warm, filling and totally satisfying, a bowl of soup is a sure fire way to get more lean protein and nutritious vegetables into your diet.
Vegetable Beef Soup is a classic recipe from my childhood that my mom still makes quite frequently. While we can’t always have dinner together every night anymore, making this soup for my boys makes me feel like we are together in one room (even if we aren’t!)
Traditionally we use carrots, potatoes, celery and peas in this vegetable beef soup recipe but any veggies you have on hand would work great. Try using parsnips, sweet potatoes, corn or even zucchini.
Pro Tip: Before serving, sprinkle with fresh herbs such as minced parsley or basil. Using fresh herbs as a garnish is a great way to perk up any bowl of soup.
Your spoon is waiting.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound beef stew meat or sirloin cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose steak seasoning
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 32 ounces beef broth low sodium
- 32 ounces V8 juice or tomato juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- fresh parsley garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or a little oil if you're not using a non-stick pan.
- Sprinkle beef with half of the salt and pepper then add to hot pan. Sear beef on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan along with the remaining salt and pepper. Sauté until veggies soften, 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in Worcestershire, thyme, steak seasoning and potato cubes. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour beef broth and V8 into the pan along with reserved beef cubes then bring to a boil. Stir in frozen vegetables then bring back to a boil.
- Cover pot with a lid then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes before serving with fresh parsley.
Want more hearty soup recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!