Avocado Green Goddess Dressing

This creamy avocado green goddess dressing is packed with flavor and full of heart-healthy fats.

I heart salads of all kinds, especially during Summer months when everything is at it’s peak freshness and full of flavor. My mother never bought bottled salad dressing while we were growing up and I’m happy to say my son will never see a bottle in our fridge either. (BBQ sauce? That’s another story. My husband is to BBQ sauce like Buddy the Elf is to maple syrup.) But, I digress…

Today’s recipe is rich, creamy and bursting with flavor.  Make a big batch and keep it in the fridge all week long for dipping carrots or drizzling on grilled veggies. Warning: You will want to lick the blender clean.

Avocado Green Goddess Dressing

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 8
  • 1 avocado
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 clove garlic - grated
  • ¼ c plain yogurt
  • 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
  • 2 tbs green onions - minced
  • 2 tbs fresh basil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add water to thin if needed.
  2. Serve over green salad or use as a dip for veggies.
Serving size: 2 tbs Calories: 42 Fat: 3.4g Saturated fat: .5g Carbohydrates: 3.1g Sodium: 293mg Fiber: 1.6g Protein: .7g Cholesterol: 0

Comments

1. Lib Dornbush says

Avocados are on sale right now and this looks like a wonderful way to use some. I will, however, reduce the salt as 293 mg/2T adds a lot to a 1200 mg/day sodium diet. There is already salt in the Worchestershire Sauce, and the lemon juice adds lots of flavour.

We love avocados in Australia and they are in season now! We’ve shared your recipe on our Pinterest where we’re gathering recipes to help people eat in season – better for the planet and your health!

3. Rosemary says

Hello,
    I am not sure I am reading the directions correctly but the first ingredient listed is Avocado Green Goddess Dressing. Is this an item purchased at the store and then you add the remaining ingredients?
    Rosemary

Rosemary – Forgive me!! That’s a type-o!! Somehow the title of the recipe was listed as an ingredient – whoops! :) I’ve updated the recipe accordingly. Let me know how it turns out!!

Oh my goodness. I love avocado and we eat it quite often, all year round – it’s so good for you and as a middle aged runner, I need all the good stuff I can get. I made this dressing this morning and had to force myself to wash the blender! I followed the recipe to the letter ( I don’t have issues with salt) and it is just delicious – creamy, sharp from the lemon but fragrant from the basil. What’s more on the plate with a big salad, new potatoes and a quorn bake, it looks beautiful – a vivid green with jewel specks of dark green basil. I hope you don’t mind but I’m sharing this page on facebook with my vegetarian & running friends. I’m going to try it on Puy lentils and quinoa as a cold side salad when I go to work tomorrow. Amazing!!

5. Kristin says

How much does this make? Also, do I absolutely need the basil? Plus, can I use garlic powder instead of cloved?

6. Ann says

I used balsamic vinegar instead of Worcestershire sauce and fresh oregano which I have growing. Came out great!

7. Mary Anderson says

I love this dressing however I have a Meyer lemon tree and every year I make a gallon jar of salt preserved lemons. I substituted the lemon and salt with a quarter of a preserved lemon with a teaspoon or more to taste of the juice. The lemon will be soft enough to puree skin and all in the food processor. Makes for an exotic change once in a while.