Overnight Refrigerator Steel Cut Oats

Waking up and realizing that breakfast is already made probably ranks up there as one of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced.  Breakfast isn’t my favorite meal of the day, but it is definitely the most important.  If you’ve never given overnight oats a try, here are 3 reasons you should make them today:

1. Steel cut oats typically require 15-20 minutes to cook.  On leisurely weekend mornings, I enjoy this extra time to drink coffee and relax with my family while preparing any of these tasty variations: Coconut Triple BerryApples and Flax,  or Blueberries and Walnuts. Busy weekdays? Not so much.
  2. Breakfast can be prepared on your schedule, any time of day.  Don’t step foot in the door until 8PM? They can be made then.  Baby naps at 1PM? That works, too. You get the drift.
  3. Endless topping possibilities help avoid boredom. The photo above shows banana slices, creamy natural peanut butter and local blueberries but that is just a suggestion. Here are a few others: almond butter, blackberries, cocoa powder, shredded coconut, strawberries, chopped pecans, pure pumpkin, raspberry preserves,… shall I go on?

You’ll thank me in the morning.

Your spoon is waiting.

Overnight Refrigerator Steel Cut Oats

• Serving size: 1 jar
  • Saturated fat: 1.2
  • Unsaturated fat: 8
  • Carbohydrates: 51.7
  • Sodium: 116 mg sodium
  • Fiber: 7.9
  • Protein: 15.9
  • Cholesterol: 2
Recipe type: Breakfast
Overnight steel cut oats are a great make-ahead breakfast idea for busy mornings.
  • ¼ c steel cut oats
  • ¼ c plain yogurt
  • ½ c skim milk
  • 1 tbs flax seed meal
  • pinch salt
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ⅓ banana - sliced
  • ½ tbs natural peanut butter
  • ¼ c berries of choice
  1. Combine oats, yogurt, milk, flax and pinch of salt in a glass jar and stir well.
  2. Seal jar and refrigerate overnight.
  3. In the morning, stir in cinnamon, banana slices, peanut butter and berries.
Steel cuts will have a nice chew to them but if you prefer to cook them further, add ¼ c extra milk and microwave for 90 seconds.

Comments

oh my goodness i think you have just revolutionized breakfasts in my house- thank you! my husband is a creature of habit and will eat all the cereal in the cupboards so fast, but this is a great alternative. and it’s so much healthier. just wondering, do you think i could make a bunch at the beginning of the week? or is it better to make just the night before?

2. Leslie says

I know this is an older post but I had a question about it. Can it be made with any kind of yogurt? I’m thinking about trying it with vanilla greek yogurt…do you think it will still ‘cook’ the oats?

• Allie says

Leslie I JUST did that last night! The greek yogurt was amazing. Have you ever had ben and jerry’s greek yogurt? The banana and peanut butter flavor? tastes really similar! It was delicious.

This oatmeal caught my eye immediately – I love oatmeal, especially steel cut, but never make it due to its long cooking time. I’ve been making overnight chia pudding for breakfast lately, and will now start making your oats. Love the added yogurt, too. Brilliant!

4. Jules says

Has anybody tried adding any protein powder? Sometimes I have cooked oatmeal with protein powder and sunflower seeds.

That recipe you shared looks great! This is definitely meant to have a good chew to it. If you prefer it to be less chewy, definitely stick with old fashioned oats as used in that Muesli recipe. I actually prefer the chew of steel cut but I like regular oats too! Thanks again for sharing that recipe.

First off I want to say fantastic blog! I had a
    quick question in which I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there. I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Thank you!

Hi Kristine – I’m so glad you like my blog! For me the key to writing is simply to start writing. I’ll write whatever comes off top of mind and then go back and read it and change things around as needed. I often write posts a bit in advance and then I’ll go back to proof read before publishing and edit further. So, just write! And edit and write. :) Good luck!

6. Kori says

I LOVE overnight oats, but I’ve only made them with old fashioned oats. I wasn’t sure that steel cut oats could be soaked long enough to be eaten raw. Your recipe is not for 1/4 c cooked steel cut oats, I imagine. :) I’ll have to try this tomorrow!

7. Jill says

Im not sure mine turned out right. How could it go wrong though?! I used Bobs Red Mill “quick cooking” steel cut oats and substituted Fage Greek Yogurt instead of regular yogurt. I tasted the base this morning before adding the rest of the ingredients and it tasted very mealy and flour-y. Like I was eating a high flour dough. After adding the rest of the ingredients I still wasnt that impressed and felt I needed to cover up the flour taste. It seemed more like an oatmeal smoothie than anything else. Hmmmmm….I was so hopeful!

Hi Jill- I’m sorry these didn’t turn out for you! Have you tried making it as instructed with steel cut oats? I usually prefer using steel cut oats because they hold their texture and shape better overnight. Quick cooking oats take just minutes to make so they tend to turn to mush when soaked overnight. I hope that helps!! Please let me know if you ever try this with steel cut oats!