This Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie is made with cocoa powder and yogurt to make a thick, creamy, and protein-packed smoothie.
For a sweet, chocolatey twist on breakfast, I love to use cocoa powder in my smoothies. Paired with the higher protein levels in Greek yogurt and a protein packed nut butter, you get a delicious, creamy breakfast that will keep you feeling full until lunch. My Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie is a favorite of my boys, but it’s one of the ways I’ll indulge in some chocolate, too!
- Banana: A great way to naturally sweeten a smoothie, bananas also blend easily to be creamy and smooth. Using a frozen banana will make it so you don’t have to use as much ice.
- Yogurt: I typically use plain Greek yogurt as it doesn’t add extra sugar, but is packed full of protein and probiotics.
- Protein powder: You can use either chocolate or vanilla flavored protein powder, and it adds flavor and nutrients to this filling smoothie.
- Almond butter: Similar to peanut butter, it is sweet and nutty, although maybe a bit richer than peanut butter.
- Cocoa powder: Rich in antioxidants and chocolate flavor, you can pick the cacao levels of your powder for how dark or rich you want the flavor.
How to Make a Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie
Start your chocolate almond butter smoothie by taking your banana and breaking it up into pieces into your blender. Using a frozen banana will make it so you don’t have to use as much ice.
Then sprinkle your vanilla or chocolate protein powder in over the top.
Next add the cocoa powder.
Followed by the Greek yogurt.
Finish with the almond butter and some ice.
Close the lid and blend until smooth, adding more ice until you reach your desired consistency. If it gets too thick, you could always add more yogurt or some almond milk.
Pour into glasses and enjoy your Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie! I like to drizzle some more almond butter onto the top sometimes for a bit of added flavor.
Change It Up
- Add more fruit. This smoothie would taste great with berries added to the mix, like strawberries or raspberries.
- Don’t like bananas? It’s not a problem for me, but I know quite a few people who don’t like bananas. Apples are another great fruit that will naturally sweeten your smoothie.
- Make it dairy free. Use a plant-based protein powder and a dairy-free yogurt alternative and this smoothie is dairy free and vegan friendly!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to use almond butter in smoothies?
You can soften it by warming it up or just add it straight from the jar to the blender! It’ll mix well with other ingredients to make a tasty smoothie.
What fruit goes well with almond butter?
Plenty of fruits pair well with almond butter, but some of my favorites are apples, bananas, and strawberries.
Can I pre-make my smoothie?
I love making pre-made smoothie bags to put in the freezer, but you could also store this smoothie once blended in the freezer for a month.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Vegan Chocolate Espresso Mousse
- Chocolate Martini
- Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your smoothie.
Whether you want a filling breakfast or a delicious, protein packed snack, my Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie will hit the spot.
Your straw is waiting.
Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- ⅓ cup protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ice to taste
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth. Add ice until you’ve reached desired consistency.
17 thoughts on “Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie”
This is one of the best smoothies I’ve made thus far! I made this and added strawberries, yum!
So glad you enjoyed it!
This sounds wonderful. Since the only almond butter I ever have is stuff I make, I’m thinking I could add a little maple syrup to it to come up with an equivalent to what you used. I’ll look forward to trying it for breakfast at some point (not sure when).
That’s a great idea!!!
This is just what I need!! YUMMMMM!
This smoothie pretty much contains all my favorite things. Can’t wait to try it at home!
I hope you love it!
This looks so good. I’d love to have a glass right now.
Wish I could make you one!
This is going on my Labor Day must make! It’s dessert in a cup and perfect for the triple digits we still have in AZ.
YES!! I hope you love it!! Stay cool!
Perfect flavor combo, loving this smoothie!
Thanks so much Matt!
Now that’s a breakfast worth waking up for!
Thank you lady!!
Now this is my kind of smoothie! Love this flavor combo :)
Your boys would love this!