Bright, tart and subtly sweet cranberry sauce is perfectly paired with savory turkey and fresh basil.
It’s a little embarrassing that I only recently discovered homemade cranberry sauce but let me tell you, I am loving every single ruby-red bite! In fact, I’m having just as much fun using it to add a bright, tart and subtly sweet flavor to everything from oatmeal to pork tenderloin.
Since I already shared my kid-friendly Orange Cranberry Smoothie, I decided to give lunch some love with a Cranberry Basil Turkey Sandwich. The natural choice is leftover Thanksgiving turkey but I plan to enjoy this beauty year-round with shredded rotisserie chicken or shaved beef tenderloin.
For color and a healthy dose of iron, I added baby spinach and fresh basil. Added bonus: the vitamin c-packed cranberry sauce will help boost iron absorption. We used artisan cranberry walnut bread from my favorite local bakery but use whatever you have on hand (or check out this amazing recipe from Rachel Cooks to make your own!)
Your leftovers are waiting.
- 2 slices crusty bread (such as cranberry walnut)
- 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 oz turkey breast or shredded chicken
- handful baby spinach
- several basil leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Lightly toast the bread then spread one piece with cranberry sauce and the other with mayo.
- Top cranberry sauce slice with turkey, spinach and basil leaves.
- Crack fresh pepper on the mayo slice and place on top of the other slice. Slice and enjoy!