Greek Tzatziki Sauce with Garlic and Dill

Thick and creamy Greek yogurt is blended with cucumbers, dill, lemon and garlic to create a healthy and addictive sauce.Creamy Tzatziki with Garlic and Dill - The Lemon Bowl

Growing up, we always had plain yogurt in the fridge and I still do to this day.  It is the perfect garnish for various Middle Eastern dishes including Lentils and Bulgur Wheat with Caramelized Onions or a piping hot Sfeeha (Lebanese Meat Pie) fresh from the oven.

Lebanese Meat Pies - The Lemon Bowl

When I have a few extra minutes, I love turning plain yogurt into a delicious side dish by mixing it with cucumbers, lemon juice, garlic and herbs. For an Indian twist, I’ll throw in chopped cilantro and garam masala to create Cucumber Yogurt Raita. For a Syrian twist, I add plenty of fresh or dried mint to create Cucumber Yogurt Mint Sauce (Laban).

lamb

Today I am sharing the Greek version of cucumber yogurt sauce known as tzatziki which is full of bright and fragrant fresh dill. We love making a big batch and storing it in the refrigerator to use throughout the week. Serve as a dip with veggies or a sauce for Garlic Rosemary Lamb Chops or Beef Shawarma.

Tzatziki and Hummus - The Lemon Bowl

Want to keep it vegetarian? Serve in a pita with hummus and call it a day.

Your pita bread is waiting.

Creamy Tzatziki Sauce with Garlic and Dill

Prep time
Total time

Recipe type: Appetizer, Snack
Serves: 8
  • 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 cups diced cucumber (or shredded)
  • ½ cup fresh dill - minced
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • 2 garlic cloves - grated
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl check for seasoning. Add more dill, lemon, garlic or salt/pepper if you wish!
  2. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving size: ½ cup Calories: 42 Fat: .1 g Saturated fat: 0 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 4.1 g Sugar: 2.6 g Sodium: 169 mg Fiber: .2 g Protein: 6.3 g Cholesterol: 4 mg

Comments

Thanks for sharing! I love tzatziki sauce and (whether or not I’m supposed to) I love covered falafel with it! Mmm. I’m always tricked into going to this one restaurant for their great tzatziki sauce, but now maybe I can stay home and save some money :)

I LOVE meat pies!! And spinach pies too. You just made me hungry and now I am craving them. I love the Tzatziki sauce to dip them in. Yum Yum.

Tzatziki is one of my favorite spreads, dips, things to eat practically with a spoon!! I have always wanted to try and make it on my own – but I’m buying so much of it from Trader Joe’s if I stop I’m afraid they’ll go out of business! I love sole sourcing companies :) haha Gorgeous Liz!

4. Dennis says

The amounts listed are perfect. Basically, one fat cucumber and clove of garlic to every cup of Greek yogurt. (Add dill, salt, and pepper to taste – but stay light on all three.)

Allow me to add some time-consuming suggestions that make a major difference:

1) Always use Greek (strained) plain yogurt. It is widely available now. It is thick, and the non-fat variety is just as tasty. Isn’t that good?…lol.
    2) After skinning, cut the cucumbers length-wise and remove the seeds (time-consuming suggestion – exhibit A)
    3) Put cucumbers and garlic in a food processor/blender, and puree.
    4) Pour puree into coffee filters – supported by a strainer – over a large bowl, and drain for at least a half-hour. (time-consuming suggestion – exhibit B) There will be a LOT of juice in the bowl. This is what gets rid of the “runny” consistency problem.
    5) Chuck in a tablespoon of olive oil per 8 oz.
    6) Slop it all together (finally!). Thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings.
    7) Let meld in the fridge a few hours. (time-consuming suggestion – exhibit C)
    8) Put it on everything you eat.

Even dirty socks are edible with this stuff. Tastes too good to be so damn good for you. But it does and it is.

Hi Mike – I hope you enjoy the tzatziki!! Many apologies for not being descriptive enough in my recipe. Please let me know if you have any trouble or have any questions. It’s one of our favorite recipes – we love eating it on grilled salmon, with lamb, as a dip with veggies or just on top of rice! Enjoy!!

• Dennis says

Thanks, Mike. Liz posted a chunky version. Just as good. I posted a painfully slower creamy version. Just as good. You can’t go wrong with Greek yogurt, cucumbers, and garlic. You just can’t.

How do I get a bad picture of myself running up with my posts, to replace that really bad lemon? I hate all my pictures, but they look better than a lemon. I think.

This has to be my favorite spring/summertime go to sauce. Only thing I don’t put it on is my Cheerios!! It is just yummy. Btw your blog I found thru Pinterest and so glad I clicked that link ;)

HELP!!!!!

I put way too much lemon juice in my Tzatziki sauce. What can I do to fix it? My friends will be here in less than an hour for dinner. and yep,..you guessed it. The Tzatziki is the appetizer.

Stasia

8. Bakequery says

Loved your Creamy Tzatziki sauce recipe. I served it with koftas. I have to say the sauce turned out MUCH better than the koftas. The only thing I wasn’t sure of was should I scrape the seeds out of the cucumber or not? Should I have drained off the juice or not? The recipe wasn’t clear about that. SI’ll give the recipe flavor a 5 and the written method a 3, averaging the score to a 4.

Hi There – So glad you enjoyed the tzatziki! Ironically we are making it for dinner tonight to serve with grilled salmon. :) To answer your question, no need to cut out the cucumber seeds. I don’t mention that in the recipe because there is absolutely no need! Of course you can but I don’t mind the seeds. As for draining off the juice, there is also no need. Of course just like the seeds, you can drain off the water if you wish. To be clear: the reason tzatziki is often thicker when you purchase from store or restaurants is because they use sour cream instead of yogurt. :) Lastly, I’m so sorry you didn’t enjoy the koftas! Was there anything particular you didn’t enjoy? Several people have made it and raved about it this week so I’m wondering if it’s a personal preference about the turkey? The traditional recipe calls for fattier beef/lamb which you may prefer. Let me know!! Thank you so much for your candid feedback- I so appreciate it!

I LOVE this sauce…I’ll have to try your version! Funny thing is, both at the Greek restaurant I went to as a child, and in the recipe I received from my brother (who is a chef in a five-star restaurant on Nantucket), it was made with mint and not dill. Not a huge fan of dill so I may stick with my imposter version, but I will definitely give it a try first!

1. [...] Greek Tatziki Sauce with Garlic and Dill by The Lemon Bowl. Liz recommends serving this with Middle Eastern dishes but she missed discussing what I think my favourite way would be to eat this: with a big, fat spoon. Mmmm… Garlic, yogurt, dill? That’s happy land. [...]