A flavorful, one-pot dinner the whole family will love, this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake is protein-packed and loaded with fresh veggies.
One of my best time-saving strategies for weeknight dinners is to do a little prep work on Sunday when I have the time and my husband is around to help with the kids. Most recently, I cooked up a batch of farro and stashed it in the fridge to use throughout the week.
Farro is one of my favorite whole grains because it is chewy, nutty and packed with protein, fiber and other nutrients. A few of my favorite farro recipes include Farro Greek Salad with Feta and Dill and Spinach Power Salad with Chicken and Farro but we also love eating it plain. It’s a great alternative to brown rice or pasta and is extremely versatile.
This Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake is a quick and easy one-pot meal that I recently made for my childhood best friend. She just had her first baby, a precious little girl, and I couldn’t be more happy to feed the new little family. It’s perfect for freezing or reheating throughout the week (or in the middle of the night during a 3am feeding!)
We are still enjoying late-summer produce here so I threw in corn, peppers and zucchini but feel free to mix and match with any veggies you have on hand. Make it your own and don’t forget to share with family and friends who may be in need of a warm and hearty meal.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake
- 3/4 cup farro cooked according to package instructions
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded – rotisserie works great!
- 14 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce store bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or monterey jack
- scallions garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and have a 9 x 13 baking dish ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked farro, chicken, black beans, zucchini, red pepper, corn, chills, enchilada sauce and smoked paprika.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil on high for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to settle before serving.