A flavorful, one-pot dinner the whole family will love, this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake is protein-packed and loaded with fresh veggies.
In this Post: Everything you need for Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake
One of my best time-saving strategies for weeknight dinners is to do a little prep work on Sunday when I have the time and my husband is around to help with the kids. I like to prepare commonly used ingredients, like farro, and stash them in the fridge to easily grab what I need throughout the week.
Farro is one of my favorite whole grains because it is chewy, nutty and packed with protein, fiber and other nutrients. A few of my favorite farro recipes include Farro Greek Salad with Feta and Dill and Spinach Power Salad with Chicken and Farro but we also love eating it plain. It’s a great alternative to brown rice or pasta and is extremely versatile.
This Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake is a quick and easy one-pot meal based on the Mexican classic, that is perfect to make for a new mom or grieving family. It’s perfect for freezing or reheating throughout the week when they don’t feel like cooking (or in the middle of the night during a 3am feeding!).
How to make Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake
The simplest way to begin making this dish is to rip apart a store-bought rotisserie chicken. The next best way is to cook chicken breast and shred it in your stand mixer. You can also shred with a fork, but the stand mixer is faster and more fun.
I wash and prepare my veggies and farro ahead of time, but you can do this step all at once. My favorites are corn, peppers, and zucchini, but you can feel free to add any veggies you have on hand.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and spices and mix them all together in a large bowl. To save even more dishes and time, I sometimes will mix right in the pan.
Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish, and cover with shredded cheese before baking. If you decide to increase the amount of cheese on top, I certainly won’t be one to judge.
After baking, toss some green onions and cilantro on top before serving. This dish keeps well in the fridge and freezer so make a few extra servings for leftovers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are enchiladas spicy?
They can be. You can omit or reduce the amount of green chiles and get mild enchilada sauce to control the level of spiciness.
Can I substitute the chicken?
Absolutely. Shredded pork or ground beef would also work well in this dish.
What if I don’t have farro?
I happen to love farro for its flavor and extra protein, but you can easily substitute brown rice or your favorite pasta. This mixture would also be delicious in tortillas like a more traditional enchilada.
What can I serve with chicken enchilada farro bake?
Is farro gluten free?
No. Farro is a type of wheat so it does contain gluten. However, you can easily make this recipe gluten free by substituting the farro for brown rice or quinoa.
How do I freeze the enchilada bake/How long will it last in the freezer?
Since this recipe has pre-cooked meat, you don’t have to cook. Freeze without the toppings. Freeze uncooked and save the baking for later. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Add toppings and bake. Use within 3 months.
Make it your own and don’t forget to share with family and friends who may be in need of a warm and hearty meal.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken Enchilada Farro Bake
- ¾ cup farro (cooked according to package instructions)
- 4 cups cooked chicken (shredded – rotisserie works great!)
- 14 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium zucchini (diced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- ½ cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce (store bought or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or monterey jack)
- scallions (garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and have a 9 x 13 baking dish ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked farro, chicken, black beans, zucchini, red pepper, corn, chiles, enchilada sauce and smoked paprika.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil on high for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to settle before serving.