This protein-packed chicken and roasted veggie grain bowl is drizzled with a creamy tahini dressing and bursting with flavor.
For the final installment of this week’s citrus-themed meal plan, I’m coming at you with something BIG! You might even say I saved the best for last.
These nutrient-packed shredded chicken grain bowls are loaded high with all sorts of delicious ingredients, flavors and textures. For my base I used bulgur wheat but quinoa, freekeh, farro or even brown rice would work.
Of course, grain bowl are all about the toppings so let’s get right to it. You’ll be using the last of the shredded chicken you batch-cooked earlier this week which can be served chilled or heated up. Next, we roast up some Brussels and butternut squash but feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
For a crunchy texture I’ve thrown in toasted almond slices which pair perfectly with the juicy Cara Cara oranges and creamy ripe avocado chunks. Last but not least, the whole bowl is drizzled with an intoxicatingly delicious tahini-soy vinaigrette. You might want to make a little extra dressing for salads and dippings veggies in all week long. Or eating with a spoon…that works too.
Your fork is waiting.
Grain Bowls with Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 cups cooked bulgur wheat or quinoa for gluten free bowl
- 4 servings leftover Asian Citrus Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts quartered
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash or sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado pitted and cubed
- 1 Cara Cara orange - segmented or seedless orange of choice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Toss the quartered Brussels and cubed butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper then spread in even layer on baking sheet. Roast until tender, 16-18 minutes.
- Begin assembling grain bowls by placing 1/2 cup bulgur wheat in each bowl along with 1/2 cup of the shredded chicken, 1/2 cup roasted veggies and equal parts of the avocado cubes, orange segments and sliced almonds.
- To make the Creamy Tahini Dressing whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. Add a little more warm water if needed. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Drizzle dressing on grain bowls to serve.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
More Healthy and Easy Dinner Ideas are waiting for you on Pinterest!