Thanks to convenient foil packets, these rosemary grilled sweet potatoes cook in less than 20 minutes and there is virtually no clean-up.
Grilling isn’t just for chicken or steak, my friends. Whether it’s asparagus, corn, bell peppers or sweet potatoes, I love using my handy grill to add smokiness and flavor to all sorts of seasonal vegetables.
Most recently, I decided to create one of my favorite side dishes on the grill: sweet potato fries! My husband loves them, my boys love them, we all love them.
For added flavor, I love tossing in minced fresh rosemary that we happen to have growing outside. If you don’t have fresh rosemary, dried works well too!
If you don’t have rosemary, oregano works well too. Feel free to use any of your favorite herbs and spices here.
Next, drizzle with olive oil, salt, cayenne and garlic powder then toss well to coat. Want to make it a little spicy? Add in more cayenne. Want to keep it mild? Skip the cayenne and replace with black pepper.
Now it’s time to make the foil packets! Simply place the potatoes in the middle of the foil then fold the foil to create little packets to toss on the grill.
Grilling Potatoes Pro Tip
When grilling the potatoes in foil packets, be sure to leave a little extra room for steam. This will help the potatoes cook all the way through.
Grill for about 16 minutes, flipping around halfway through.
When the potatoes come off the grill they are caramelized, smoky, sweet and tender.
We love serving it with ketchup mixed with Sriracha but they are also just as delicious on their own.
Yes you can follow my recipe for oven baked sweet potato fries.
You can prep these up to 8 hours in advance.
As a general rule of thumb, you can replace 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs with 1/2 teaspoon dried. Dried herbs are more potent so you don’t need as many.
No forks required.
Grilled Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary minced (or two tablespoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Pre-heat grill to high heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients until sweet potatoes are evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Tear out four 12” x 12” sheets of heavy-duty tin-foil. Place ¼ of the potatoes in the center of each sheet of tin foil. To create foil packets, carefully fold in the left and right side of the square. Next, bring together the top and bottom of the square and tightly pinch to form a packet. Tip: Be sure to leave a bit of room for steam.
- Place packets on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes per side.