These quick and easy grilled shrimp shawarma skewers get a Lebanese spin with classic shawarma marinade made of tangy, plain yogurt, warm cinnamon, and fresh garlic. It’s a flavor-packed shrimp recipe perfect for wrapping in warm pita or serving over rice pilaf.
No surprise here, I’ve got another delicious grilling recipe for you today! The perfect quick and easy summer BBQ dish, my Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers puts a Lebanese twist on a classic entertaining dish. What makes this meal even easier is how you can get your shrimp already skewered at D&W Fresh Market! Their seafood counter is full of amazingly fresh and delicious finds like salmon, cod, and pre-skewered shrimp. I easily add all my ingredients to my cart and then either pick it up or have it delivered to the house! When entertaining, I’ll take any extra time I can get.
- Shrimp skewers: Shrimp is a juicy, mildly salty protein that can be bought on a skewer, or skewered yourself fairly easily at home.
- Yogurt: Whole milk, plain yogurt paired with lemon juice is what gives you that classic shawarma marinade that creates delicious, tender meat.
- Garlic: Slightly nutty and very aromatic, it sweetens as it cooks on the grill.
- Lemon juice: Paired with the yogurt, it acts as a natural tenderizer in the marinade as well as adding bright, citrusy flavor.
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice are a delightfully warm combination that is very common in Lebanese cooking, and adds to the classic shawarma flavor on the shrimp.
How to Make Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers
Get started on your Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers by making the marinade. Take a baking dish or large bowl that’s long enough to fit your shrimp skewers and then grate in your garlic cloves with a microplane.
Next sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Season with some kosher salt and black pepper.
Then add the plain yogurt.
Drizzle in a bit of olive oil.
And finish with fresh lemon juice.
Whisk it all together until combined into a thick sauce.
Then you’ll take your shrimp skewers and coat them in the shawarma marinade, flipping to cover each side.
Once each skewer is completely coated, let sit and marinate for at least 10-15 minutes.
Then toss the skewers onto your grill preheated to high heat and cook until shrimp becomes a bright pink color, flipping once. Keep an eye on them, as cooking times will vary based on your kind of grill.
Once shrimp is done cooking, remove from the grill and serve immediately.
Serve on the skewer garnished with a little bit of extra lemon juice or fresh herbs if you like, and enjoy your Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers!
Shake Things Up
- Turn up the heat. You can play around with the spices and try adding red pepper flakes, oregano, or cayenne if you like it a bit spicier.
- Switch the protein. An easy swap for shrimp kabobs would be scallops, or you could use this same marinade with chicken, beef, or lamb.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do you use shrimp skewers with or without the shell?
While you can grill your shrimp with or without the shell, I always peel mine ahead of time (except for the tail) as it lets marinades penetrate the meat better.
Should you thaw shrimp before grilling?
While you could, technically, grill shrimp from frozen, I wouldn’t recommend it. I always thaw my seafood before cooking to make sure they get an even cook, and it improves the texture.
How do you know when shrimp is done?
Raw shrimp starts out a gray color, but it will slowly turn pink while cooking. Once it’s a nice, bright pink and there is no more gray remaining, you know your shrimp is done.
Complimentary Side Dishes
- Cucumber Zucchini Salad
- Grilled Veggies with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- Greek Tzatziki Sauce
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Greek Spinach Rice
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this dish and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
With the ease of pre-skewered shrimp, fresh seafood, and grocery pickup, you’ll have dinner ready in no time with help from your local, D&W Fresh Market, and my Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers are a great place to start.
No fork required.
Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers
- 8 shrimp skewers (from your seafood counter)
- Pre-heat grill over high heat.
- While grill is pre-heating, whisk together the marinade in the bottom of a large glass pan such as a brownie pan. Add the shrimp skewers and flip a few times to ensure evenly coated on both sides. Marinade for 10-15 minutes or so.
- Spray grill with non-stick cooking spray or rub with oil oil. Place shrimp skewers on the grill and cook until bright pink, about 8-10 minutes flipping once. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This recipe was developed in partnership with Spartan Nash. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.