Discover the ultimate grilled vegetable sandwich! This mouthwatering vegetarian recipe combines perfectly charred veggies, creamy mozzarella, and savory pesto, creating an irresistible meatless meal the whole family will love.
When summertime comes, you can almost always find me cooking outside at my grill. And as much as I love a good BBQed steak, there are times I want a palate cleanser and something lighter than red meat. This Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto and Mozzarella is not only delicious, but hearty and filling despite being totally vegetarian and not containing any meat! And if you aren’t in grill season where you live, you can just as easily make this sandwich by roasting your vegetables or cooking them under your broiler in the oven.
- Sourdough bread: I love the crusty crunch that sourdough bread gives, as well as it’s heartiness for such a big, stuffed sandwich.
- Pesto: Basil pesto is simple but full of flavor, as it usually has basil leaves, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and garlic.
- Mozzarella: Milky, creamy, and soft cheese that is a great source of protein as well as probiotics.
- Eggplant: Mild bitter flavor, but it cooks to be creamy in texture and is chalk full of antioxidants.
- Zucchini: A mildly sweet veggie that only gets sweeter as it’s cooked.
- Red onion: Mild enough to eat raw or cooked, but it adds some crunch as well as strong flavor to the sandwich.
- Bell pepper: I used a red bell pepper as they tend to be the sweetest, but you could use any color pepper for great flavor.
- Olive oil: Helps to coat the veggies in salt and pepper, as well as get an even cook on them.
How to Make Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto and Mozzarella
Start your Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto and Mozzarella by washing and slicing all of your vegetables. Because you’ll be layering them on a sandwich, you’ll want to cut each of them into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
Then put all of your vegetables on a sheet pan or cutting board and drizzle them in olive oil.
Then season them all with a sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper before taking them out to your grill.
Spread your veggies evenly in a single layer in your grill that’s been preheated to high heat. Grill until tender and caramelized, turning once.
While veggies are grilling, you can prepare the rest of the sandwich by taking your bread and slicing it in half.
Then spread a healthy layer of pesto on both the top and bottom slices of the sandwich.
Once your vegetables are done grilling, place a heaping layer of veggies on the bottom slice, and layer the thinly sliced mozzarella cheese over the top.
Put the top of the bread on the sandwich, and place back on the grill until cheese is nice and melted.
For some bright flavor, I like to add some fresh basil leaves to mine before slicing in large wedges to serve, but either way you’ll enjoy your Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto and Mozzarella!
Change It Up
- Make it vegan. You can omit the mozzarella cheese, or use a dairy free cheese alternative as well as swap about the pesto for an option that doesn’t use cheese as well to make this sandwich vegan as well as vegetarian.
- Try different vegetables. Any kind of squash would work well in this sandwich, as well as tomatoes or mushrooms!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is bread on a vegetarian diet?
Yes! Unless a bread somehow contains meat or another animal product, bread is usually fine in both a vegetarian and vegan diet.
What is the best bread Italian sandwich?
I like to use either sourdough or ciabatta bread, as they are both hearty, crusty, and somewhat rustic.
Is it better to roast or grill veggies?
Grilling will usually cook the veggies faster, as well as give you a bit of a smoky taste that you can’t really get from the oven, but roasting or broiling your vegetables is a great alternative if you can’t grill!
More Grilled Recipes
- Shrimp and Asparagus Pouches with Lemon Garlic Butter
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties
- Grilled Chicken with Fresh Tomato Basil Salsa
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this dish and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
If you’re looking for a great summertime, vegetarian meal or just want to take a break from red med, then my Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto and Mozzarella is just for you.
No fork required.
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto and Mozzarella
- 1 loaf Italian or Sourdough bread (round or rectangular)
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella (thinly slices)
- 1 eggplant (sliced in 1/2" pieces lengthwise)
- 1 zucchini (sliced in 1/2" pieces lengthwise)
- 1 red onion (slices in 1/2" pieces)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored then cut in large slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat grill on high heat to prepare to grill the vegetables. Place all of the vegetable slices on a large baking sheet then drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- When grill is pre-heated, add vegetables in a single layer and grill until tender and caramelized, turning once, about 5-7 minutes. Note: if you have a grill basket, I like to use those for the red onions and red peppers but it's optional.
- While veggies are grilling, slice the bread round in half length-wise then brush both sides (the inside part) with pesto. Top with grilled veggies and mozzarella slices before placing the other half of the loaf back on top. Place sandwich on a large piece of tin foil then place on grill to warm through. Grill until cheese is melted, about 4-5 minutes. Slice in large wedges to serve.