A healthy, fresh spin on the Italian food classic, you’re going to love this hearty and delicious grilled eggplant Parmesan. The ultimate vegetarian comfort food recipe!
We recently returned from Boston, home of the BEST Italian food in the world, and I literally can’t stop thinking about my Aunt Dolly and Uncle Vinny’s eggplant parmesan. As I’ve mentioned briefly and shared recently on Instagram, I am writing a series of eCookbooks focused on Sunday dinner across America.
Specifically, each book will profile a family that is still connected to their ancestors through food and recipes passed down generation to generation. The first eCookbook of the series? Italian American food, of course! My husband’s family is full of incredible cooks and let me tell you, their food is sent from the gods.
Above is a photo of my Aunt Dolly carefully coating each slice of eggplant in egg, flour and bread crumbs before they are fried in olive oil to golden perfection. I can’t wait to share their full recipe with you all soon.
In the meantime, I have a faster and healthier version that is ideal for summertime when you don’t feel like turning on the oven or standing by the hot stove. While nothing beats the classic, it is always nice to have a weeknight version that is easy on the waistline to boot.
Instead of pan frying, each slice of eggplant is grilled until sweet, tender and delicious. While I do leave out the flour, egg and bread crumbs, I don’t leave out the best part: THE CHEESE!
Every bite of these grilled eggplant parmesan stacks are coated in cheesy, melted mozzarella and sharp parmesan cheese. For a little kick, I finish it all off with a sprinkle of red chili flakes.
What family recipes do you eat to bring you close to your ancestors? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 medium eggplants (sliced 1" thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon papper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce (jarred or homemade)
- chili flakes (optional)
- Pre-heat grill over high heat and brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When grill is hot, lay eggplant slices in a single layer and grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until tender. Remove from grill and place in a shallow baking dish. Top each slice of eggplant with one or two tablespoons of marinara, a tablespoon of shredded mozzarella and a teaspoon of parmesan cheese.
- Grill the pan of eggplant, uncovered, until cheese is fully melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve eggplants stacked on top of one another and sprinkle with chili flakes to serve if you wish.
Want more Healthy and Easy Dinner Ideas?