These savory beef kafta patties are made with ground sirloin, onion, fresh parsley, and traditional Lebanese spices. Perfect on the grill or under the broiler.
If you aren’t familiar with beef kafta (called kofta in some Middle Eastern countries), it’s basically the Lebanese meatball. And in my household, they disappear when I make them as my boys practically inhale them. Made with traditional Lebanese spices, my Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties are a great way to enter the world of Middle Eastern food and explore the warm and delicious flavors.
- Ground beef: I use ground sirloin, but you could use ground chuck or even lamb or turkey!
- Onion: White onion is pretty mild, but still adds great flavor and moisture to the patties.
- Parsley: Bright, somewhat peppery, and classic to the kafta dish.
- Lebanese spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice are all warm, woodsy spices that are slightly sweet. They’re a great source of antioxidants and cinnamon specifically has been linked to lower blood sugar.
How to Make Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties
Start your Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties by putting your ground beef in a large food processor.
Next add your fresh parsley and onion, cut into wedges.
Then add the cinnamon and allspice.
Followed by the nutmeg and some salt and pepper to taste.
Pulse blend until combined and the onion and parsely are broken up throughout the meat.
Next, use wet or oiled hands to form 12 evenly sized patties.
Take them out to the grill and cook them on high heat for 2-3 mintues per side.
Garnish with additional parsley, and enjoy your Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties!
Frequently asked questions:
What do you serve with beef kafta?
How do you shape a kafta?
I mimic the shape of a burger patty usually, but you can also make them long, oval shaped and skewer them on a kebab.
Can I freeze cooked kafta?
If you want to make them ahead and freeze them, I’d recommend freezing the formed patty before cooking. Then grill or broil the frozen patty when ready to eat it.
More LEbanese Recipes
- Lebanese Rice Bowls with Hummus
- Shish Tawook Chicken
- Lebanese Green Beans with Tomatoes
- Lebanese Hindbeh
- Vegan Tomato Kibbeh
Eat It, LIke It, Share it!
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
For a taste of classic Lebanese flavor, you can’t go wrong with my Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties. Serve it over rice pilaf like I did, or wrapped in a pita with some hummus. Let me know how you chose to serve it in a comment!
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Lebanese Beef Kafta Patties
- Pre-heat grill or broiler to high heat.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender and pulse until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Using wet hands, form into 12 evenly sized, small patties.
- Spray grill with non-stick grilling spray and grill patties for 2-3 minutes per side, turning once for medium-rare. Cook longer for well done.
- Serve over bulgur wheat or rice pilaf.