These Italian stuffed artichokes are made with simple pantry ingredients and result in the most comforting, crowd-pleasing side dish recipe.
You know those recipes you make that immediately transport you to another time, perhaps another kitchen or another place?
These Italian stuffed artichokes do just that for me: they take me back to my Aunt Dolly’s kitchen north of Boston where I first learned this family recipe.
A traditional Italian comfort dish, stuffed artichokes are a staple around the holidays in most Italian homes. These beautiful artichokes are from Ocean Mist Farms who, since 1924, has provided multiple generations of customers with the freshest Artichokes and vegetables, and is still family owned.
Drizzled with lemon juice before steaming until tender, the end result is cheesy, garlicky and full of flavor. The ultimate way to enjoy a hearty artichoke which just so happens to be my six year old’s favorite vegetable these days.
Whether you’re hosting a family gathering for the holidays this year or attending a party at someone else’s house, I am confident my husband’s family recipe for Italian stuffed artichokes will be a huge hit.
It really doesn’t get more comforting than artichokes stuffed with bread crumbs, garlic, olive oil and cheese.
No forks required.
Italian Stuffed Artichokes
- 6 whole artichokes
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parsley minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Soak artichokes in cold water for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the artichokes: Cut off stems of the artichokes with a sharp knife. Make sure the cut is straight so artichoke will stand flat. Slice off ¼ inch straight from the top of each artichoke (the prickly part). Stand the artichoke upside down and push firmly on the step to slightly open the leaves making room to catch the stuffing. Using scissors, cut the tip of each leaf straight across. Optional: You can also remove the purple leaves and the very center choke, which is very prickly, by grabbing it from the very bottom and pulling it straight out. I skip this step to save time but it's a nice touch. Squeeze half of the lemon juice inside the artichoke.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, grated cheese, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Fill each leaf with the stuffing until artichokes are well packed.
- Drizzle with olive oil then squeeze more lemon juice over the artichokes. Sprinkle with a little salt over the top and sides.
- Put artichokes standing up into a wide pot large enough to hold the artichokes. Add enough water to cover just to the top of the bottom row of leaves of the artichokes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt in the pot. Cover and let the water come to a boil. Lower the heat and let the artichokes simmer for 45 minutes or until leaves are tender. Serve warm.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: Ocean Mist Farms has compensated me for my time to develop this recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Check out more healthy appetizer recipes on my Pinterest board!