Mashed Sweet potatoes are whipped with pure maple syrup, creamy whole milk yogurt and a hint of orange zest to become a show-stopping side dish for any meal.
Our family goes through a lot of sweet potatoes. My kids love them, my husband loves them and I love them, too. Cheap, versatile and packed with health benefits, you really can’t go wrong with a sweet potato.
My husband requests my Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries almost every week – even throughout the summer when we make grilled sweet potatoes instead. If you’ve never tried dipping a sweet potato fry in sriracha ketchup, I urge you to give it a try. If you’re looking for something a little sweeter I would suggest looking at my Honey Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
With the holidays fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to share an easy, 5 ingredient side dish we have been making for years. I first started making this dish when I had a catering business several years ago. In fact, it was one of my most commonly requested side dishes.
If you don’t have maple syrup, honey makes a great alternative. We also love adding various spices depending on our mood. Smoked paprika, cinnamon and cayenne have all made appearances.
Whether you’re hosting Thanksgiving this year or need a simple side dish to bring, these easy whipped sweet potatoes are going to be a new family favorite.
Your fork is waiting.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 6 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender, 7-9 minutes. Strain potatoes and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a food processor (yogurt through pepper) as well as the strained sweet potatoes. Pulse on high until smooth and creamy.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly before serving.
Check out my Pinterest board for more healthy side dishes!