Spicy Italian sausage, hearty kale, and creamy butternut squash create a warm and satisfying soup that is perfect for freezing.
One of my favorite quick and healthy dinners in the cold season (or any season really) is a warm bowl of soup. This Sausage, Kale, and Butternut Squash Soup is an easy, go-to for fall and winter. Not only a delicious dinner, but the leftovers make great lunches throughout the week for easy meal prep.
- Italian sausage: A delicious source of protein, you can use sweet, mild, or spicy sausage to meet your preferences!
- Onion: I’ll use a yellow or white onion, as it’s mild in flavor to not overpower the other ingredients, but instead blends well with the other flavors.
- Garlic: Nutty, slightly sweet when cooked, it pairs deliciously with everything else.
- Red pepper: The ripest of bell peppers, they are also the highest in vitamins and nutrients, with a slightly sweet taste.
- Chicken broth: Flavorful and rich with protein and essential fatty acids, it’s my go to for soup bases.
- Butternut squash: A winter squash with a sweet, nutty taste, it’s high in vitamin C and other vitamins.
- Kale: I love to use kale in soups, as its hearty enough to not get soggy, but it loses its bitter taste. Not to mention it’s packed full of nutrients, like omega 3s.
- Cannellini beans: Another source of protein, as well as fiber, they add a creamy, nutty flavor to the soup.
How to Make Sausage, Kale, and Butternut Squash Soup
Start your sausage, kale, and butternut squash soup by preparing your produce. If you haven’t cooked butternut squash before, you’ll want to start by peeling it.
Then cut it in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and strings. Then you can proceed to chop it into cubes and cook it!
In a large pot, drizzle some olive oil or cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Break up and brown your sausage, the more brown the more flavor!
Use a microplane to freshly grate your garlic in with the sausage.
And add in the diced onion and red bell pepper, with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Keep cooking until the onions and peppers have softened.
Then add in the chicken broth, and use a wooden spoon to scrap up anything that might be stuck on the bottom of the pot.
Bring to a boil, then add in the butternut squash and cook for about 10-15 minutes until squash is softened.
Then you’ll add the drained cannellini beans.
And your chopped kale.
Check for seasoning, and add a pinch more of salt and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes until kale is bright green.
Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired, and serve your Sausage, Kale, and Butternut Squash Soup!
- Swap the squash. You can use any squash in place of the butternut squash, like acorn squash or pumpkin.
- Make it vegetarian. Instead of chicken broth, use veggie broth, and use a soy or tofu substitute for the sausage.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does butternut squash need peeling for soup?
The peel on butternut squash soup is slightly bitter and tough, so I prefer to peel it.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! Soup is very freezer friendly. In an air-tight container or resealable bag, it’ll be good for up to 3 months.
Do I need to cook squash before adding to soup?
Nope! You can cook the squash with the rest of the soup.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Hominy
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Chicken and Chickpea Soup with Bulgur Wheat
- Navy Bean and Ham Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your soup.
Whether you need a quick dinner, or lunches throughout the week, this hearty, delicious soup won’t disappoint your.
Your spoon is waiting.
Sausage, Kale, and Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 Italian sausage links – uncooked (spicy or sweet)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 8 cups chicken broth (low sodium or homemade)
- 3 cups butternut squash (peeled and cut in 1/2 in. cubes)
- 4 cups kale (roughly chopped)
- 14 oz cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmigiano reggiano (optional garnish)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and spray with olive oil non-stick spray. Remove sausage from casings and add to pot.
- Brown sausage for 7-8 minutes using a potato masher or wooden spoon to break into bite-sized pieces.
- Add garlic, diced onion, and red pepper to pan (as well as a pinch of salt and pepper) and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- When sausage is nicely browned, add broth to pan using a wooden spoon to deglaze and scrape up all of the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Raise heat to high then bring soup to a boil. Add butternut squash cubes and cook for 15-20 minutes or until softened.
- Five minutes before serving, add kale and beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with freshly grated Parmigiano reggiano if you wish.