This easy sheet pan chicken dinner recipe is made with apples, sweet potatoes and onions roasted in olive oil and scented with cinnamon. Perfect for feeding a family!
Roasted chicken seasoned with olive oil and cinnamon was on our dinner table at least 1-2 nights growing up. While sheet pan dinners are all the rage these days, I’m here to say that my mom has been making sheet pan dinners for close to 40 years!
And for good reason: they’re versatile, healthy and require just one pan making for very easy clean-up. Moms always know best, am I right?
Inspired by the fall season, I like to roast my chicken on top of large cubes of apples, sweet potatoes and onions.
To season, I simply drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with salt, pepper and cinnamon. A little garlic powder or cayenne are nice additions too but they’re optional.
To cook you simply bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, then serve warm. My mom always sprinkled with a little fresh parsley before serving but again, that’s optional.
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- 4 split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin on)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (divided )
- 2 large apples (cored and cut in slices or large chunks)
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled and sliced in large chunks)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 tablespoon salt (divided)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (divided)
- minced parsley (optional garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and scatter the apples, onions and sweet potatoes in a single layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Mix well with hands.
- Place chicken breasts on top of the veggies/apple mixture and drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with remaining spices. Rub evenly to coat chicken on both sides.
- Bake until chicken is golden and cooked through, about 45-60 minutes depending on thickness of chicken.
Looking for more easy and delicious dinner ideas? Head over to my Pinterest Board for recipes!
9 thoughts on “Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken and Sweet Potatoes”
Would cook time be different if I used boneless chicken breasts instead?
Depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts, I’d still plan on around 40 minutes for cooking.
Can you use butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes? About the same cook time?
Yes and yes!! Great idea!
Made this for dinner tonight. Wow! Very delicious! I wasn’t sure about the sweet potato, apple, onion and cinnamon combination, but it was really fantastic! Husband and I really enjoyed. Thanks!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!
Can I use chicken thighs with this?
What would be the cook times?
You sure can! Chicken thighs cook in about 30 minutes. :)
I usually like to stick with regular potatoes but i think this looks much better with sweet potatoes! I have to make this for dinner, thanks!