Made with warm Indian spices, tender beef and hearty vegetables, this aromatic slow cooker beef curry is the ultimate guilt-free cold weather comfort food.
Hands down, the most popular recipe of all time on The Lemon Bowl is my Slow Cooker Chicken Curry. And frankly, I’m not surprised! We make it at least several times a month because it is fast to throw together, super flavorful and packed with lean protein and hearty vegetables.
Slow Cooker Beef Curry is a twist off my chicken curry made with tender stew meat, creamy butternut squash and loads of other vegetables to keep you satisfied with fewer calories. Garam masala, curry powder and fresh ginger hit all of your favorite spice notes without too much heat which is ideal when feeding little ones. Of course, you’re welcome to dial up the head by adding in more cayenne.
The real star of this dish, however, is the creamy whole milk plain yogurt. This tangy, protein-rich ingredient is one of my secrets when it comes to preparing lower cost cuts of meat like stew meat.
Yogurt is a natural tenderizer which makes it ideal for marinating chicken or beef. In fact, plain yogurt is the secret to my Beef Shawarma with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce and Indian Spiced Grilled Chicken.
What is your favorite way to use yogurt in savory dishes? I’d love to hear from you.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Beef Curry
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups butternut squash (cubed and peeled)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (divided)
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- scallions (optional garnish)
- Cucumber Yogurt Raita (to serve)
- Place vegetables (cauliflower through red pepper) in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- Sprinkle beef with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper then place on top of the vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all additional ingredients (tomato sauce through cloves) with the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Drizzle mixture over the beef and vegetables then stir to combine.
- Cook on Low for 8 Hours or High for 4 Hours and serve with freshly sprinkled scallions and Cucumber Yogurt Raita on the side.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Dairy Ambassador for Milk Means More. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes, head over to Pinterest!