Warm curry flavors and coconut milk add flavor and moisture to lean chicken breasts to make this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe a delicious one-pot dish.
When it comes to preparing moist and delicious dishes using lean chicken breasts, I’ve learned that the slow cooker is your friend! By locking in the moisture and cooking the meat slowly, you always end up with tender and juicy chicken without relying on fat, oil, or extra calories from the skin. My Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is a family favorite, as it’s mild enough for anyone to enjoy! It’s also extremely versatile, so you can change it up to be whatever you like!
- Chicken breasts: While I prefer lean chicken breasts you can use Chicken thighs or any type of dark meat. The darker meats will boost the flavor!
- Onion: White onion will add great, strong flavor without adding more sweetness.
- Sweet potatoes: Mild and sweet, they make the curry filling and hearty.
- Chickpeas: A great source of protein, and makes the curry more hearty and filling.
- Coconut milk: A staple in many curries, it adds sweetness to balance out the savory and sometimes spicy flavor.
- Chicken stock: While you can also use veggie stock, I think chicken stock adds the best flavor to curry.
- Tomato sauce: Slightly sweet and slightly acidic, you could also use crushed or diced tomatoes if you want your curry more chunky.
- Curry powder: Different brands have different blends, but it usually consists of cumin, turmeric, ginger, and pepper, but they all add a delicious warmth.
- Green peas: Added towards the end of cooking, they don’t soften too much to add a great pop as well as fiber and antioxidants.
- Lemon juice: Bright, acidic flavor that adds freshness to the curry.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Start your Slow Cooker Chicken Curry by peeling and chopping up your sweet potatoes, and dicing your onion.
Then add the sweet potato to the bowl of your slow cooker.
Followed by the diced onion.
Then drain and rinse your chickpeas, and add them to the pot.
Next pour in the full-fat coconut milk.
And your chicken or veggie stock.
And the tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes.
Next add the curry powder and cayenne.
Then place your raw chicken breasts and season with some salt and pepper.
Using a large spoon or tongs, gently stir until mixed and chicken is coated. Then cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
During the last couple minutes, add the frozen peas until warmed through and the lemon juice. Then serve over rice, garnish with fresh scallions or cilantro, and enjoy your Slow Cooker Chicken Curry!
- Swap the potatoes: If you aren’t a fan of sweet potatoes, use regular or try something new like Brussels sprouts.
- Make it vegetarian: Swap the chicken out for extra veggies, or follow the recipe for my vegetarian curry.
Frequently asked questions:
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes you can! And you can even start with frozen breasts, not needing to thaw them ahead of time.
Will coconut milk curdle in slow cooker?
As long as you use a good quality brand, you shouldn’t have to worry about curdling.
Can I make this curry in a instant pot?
Yes you can! Follow the first 2 steps the same, then seal and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. Stir in the peas and lemon juice, until heated through. Then serve!
More Slow Cooker Meals
Did you try this slow cooker recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
With so many ways to play with curry, let me know how you decide to serve yours in a commet below!
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- 1 pound boneless (skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 15 ounces can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk (light)
- ½ cup chicken stock (low sodium)
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (salt-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro (optional garnish)
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours. Shred the chicken.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.