This cozy breakfast is full of warm spices like cinnamon, cloves and ginger then drizzled with molasses, brown sugar and chopped pecans. Perfect for busy weekday mornings or a make-ahead dish for lazy weekends!
A riff off my husband’s famous Hermit Bars, this Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal is full of warm spices including cinnamon, ginger and cloves. While you might think it’s a bit early for gingerbread, we are in the height of hermit season here in our house. In fact, fall is the official hermit season and from the minute the first batch hits the oven and the house fills with molasses and ginger, I know fall has arrived.
Since we can’t eat cookies for breakfast (or can we?), I decided to combine my favorite Bob’s Red Mill steel cut oats with all the flavors I love about Rich’s hermit bars. The result? A warm and cozy Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal that you’ll be making again and again this holiday season.
This make-ahead slow cooker oatmeal is not only a great time-saver on busy weekday mornings but it’s perfect for putting together when you have visitors in from out of town or are hosting a casual brunch. This breakfast is everything you love about gingerbread minus all the fat and calories. As an added bonus, it’s naturally gluten free.
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cups water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Oats
- chopped pecans brown sugar and molasses – optional garnish to serve
- Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook overnight on low for 8 hours.
- In the morning, stir oatmeal with a fork to loosen the steel cut oats and make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- Serve warm with chopped pecans and additional brown sugar and molasses to taste.
For more easy morning meals, check out my Healthy Breakfast Ideas board on Pinterest!