This Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken gets a healthy makeover in this quick and easy slow cooker recipe packed with warm spices like garam masala, cumin and fenugreek.
As a busy work-at-home mom of a 3-year-old and 10 months old, it’s safe to say that I have good days and bad days. On a perfect day, the boys let me sleep past 6:20AM, we all hit the gym by 10AM (I swear my kids love the kids area more than I love working out!) and dinner is prepped or cooking away in the slow cooker by 1PM.
Does this always happen? Heck no. Does smashing together intoxicating spices from around the world with my mortar and pestle make even the hardest days seem a little better? You betcha.
When it comes to healthy eating on a budget, I always recommend stretching more expensive ingredients (i.e. organic chicken breasts) with inexpensive, filling vegetables like broccoli, kale or, in this case, cauliflower.
Warm, aromatic, slightly spicy and totally satisfying, this healthier Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken with Cauliflower is ideal for busy weeknights. To save even more time during the dinner rush, we love using Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice but you could even skip the rice and pick up some naan bread at the store.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts cubed
- 1 in head cauliflower cut florets
- 15 ounce can coconut milk light
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons ginger root minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- prepared brown rice cucumber raita and fresh cilantro – to serve
- Place cubed chicken and cauliflower florets in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together next 12 ingredients (coconut milk through cayenne.)
- Lastly, using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, crush together the cumin seeds, fenugreek and cardamom pods. Add to the yogurt mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour spiced yogurt mixture into the slow cooker and stir until chicken and cauliflower is evenly coated.
- Heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Five minutes before you’re ready to serve, stir in green peas. Serve over brown rice with cucumber raita and fresh cilantro if you wish.