Today’s recipe was inspired by my many visits to Greek Town in Chicago. Stewed green beans are a classic side dish and one of the most simple recipes to make at home. Low calorie, bursting in flavor and full of nutrients – this dish is a win win.
Fun Fact: Cooked tomatoes have more health benefits than raw tomatoes! According to ScientificAmerican.com, studies show that the amount of lycopene rose 30% after just 30 minutes of cooking. Apparently the heat helps break down the thick cell walls of the tomatoes which helps the body better absorb the nutrients.
Lycopene Health Benfits:
- Fights many forms of cancer including prostate
- Helps boost fertility
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Protects the skin from sun burn
- Prevents diabetes
Your fork is waiting.
Stewed Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans (cut in 2 in pieces)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, with the lid, for 30-45 minutes.