A healthy and portable snack or breakfast-on-the-go, your entire family will love these light and fruity Strawberry Oatmeal Yogurt Muffins.
September has officially arrived and I must confess: I am thrilled! As much as I love summer, there is no denying that fall is my favorite time of the year. The season is full of celebrations including our 9th wedding anniversary and son’s 3rd birthday. It also means brisk walks around the lake, fall foliage in Northern Michigan and the unofficial kick-off of baking season.
Whether you are looking for a healthy back-to-school treat to pack in lunch boxes or an afternoon snack to give your little ones, these Strawberry Oatmeal Yogurt Muffins will hit the spot.
Packed with juicy California strawberries, whole grain oats, and protein-rich yogurt, I guarantee no one will notice the lack of butter and bleached white flour. I like baking a big batch on Sunday and storing them in a resealable plastic bag in the fridge for easy snacks or an on-the-go breakfast for my husband.
Even though summer is winding down, with year-round availability and a 12-month growing season, California strawberries are a nutritious and versatile fruit to enjoy every day.
In fact, I learned during my California Strawberries Farm Tour earlier this year that 8 strawberries contain more vitamin C than an orange. Low in sugar, with only about 50 calories, strawberries are a great source of fiber, folate, and potassium. Additional benefits of the health benefits of strawberries can be found here.
What do your kids love to find in their lunch boxes? Do they have any special requests? I would love to hear from you.
No forks required.
Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour or equivalent flour
- ½ cup oats old fashioned or quick-cooking
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup diced fresh California strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pan with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a large bowl and set aside. (Using a whisk will help remove lumps.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined being careful not to over-mix.
- Gently fold in fresh strawberries to the batter. Using a large ice-cream scoop, divide batter evenly among 12 lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.