A Thai takeout classic, you won’t believe how easy it is to make the fresh and fragrant Thai chicken coconut soup, Tom Kha Gai, at home!
Growing up we would frequently go out for Thai food both locally or while traveling. Without fail, my mom would always order Tom Kha Gai, a Thai Chicken Coconut Soup. We love eating and cooking Asian food in our house which is why I’ve shared hundreds of Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, and Chinese inspired recipes with you all over the years. Well balanced, vegetable forward and full of bright flavors, authentic Asian food is often quite healthy and nutritious.
Made with creamy coconut milk and fragrant aromatics such as ginger and lemongrass, this soup is satisfying, comforting and perfectly balanced.
Sweet, spicy, salty and sour, it is everything I look for in a perfect bowl of soup. For added meatiness and umami flavor, sliced mushrooms are added to the broth along with shredded chicken.
Any type of shredded cooked chicken will work – whether it’s leftover chicken from earlier in the week or a rotisserie that I grabbed during the day, this soup is meant to be easy and effortless.
No lemongrass? No problem! Add a few thinly sliced pieces of lemon peel and remove before serving.
Speaking of serving, be sure to garnish with fresh cilantro to serve. The bright, fresh herbs will complement the sweet and creamy soup perfectly.
Your spoon is waiting.
Tom Kha Gai Thai Chicken Coconut Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 14 ounces Thai style coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cilantro (optional garnish)
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 cup mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (such as rotisserie)
- salt and pepper (to taste )
- Using the back of a chef's knife, gently pound the lemongrass to release the juices and tenderize it a bit. Cut into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, whisk together chicken broth, coconut milk, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, chile paste, sugar and lemongrass. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and simmer for 20 minutes. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
Want more delicious Asian inspired recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!