Szechuan Green Beans and Ground Turkey

Green bean season is in full swing and I am pretty thrilled!  Of course they are great on their own with a splash of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil but today I’ve decided to give them an Asian twist.

Ground turkey probably isn’t the first type of meat you think of when making a stir-fry but I’d like to suggest you give it a try.  Spicy chili-garlic paste is combined with sweet hoisin, fresh ginger and plenty of garlic to create a delicious and healthy dinner unlike any other.  No green beans? Try broccoli, peas, cauliflower or zucchini. Let your farm stand be your guide.

The best part? It makes fabulous leftovers and actually tastes even better the next day! Serve with brown rice and dinner is done in under 20 minutes.

Boom.

• 1 lb green beans - trimmed
  • ½ c chicken broth
  • 1 tbs corn starch
  • 3 tbs soy sauce - low sodium
  • 1 tbs hoisin sauce
  • 2 tbs rice vinegar
  • ½ tbs chili garlic paste (more or less to taste)
  • 8 oz water chestnuts - sliced
  • ½ tbs sesame oil
  1. Pre-heat a large wok or deep pan over high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
  2. Add ground turkey, garlic and ginger.
  3. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, break down the turkey and cook until browned. (Don't be afraid of color! Brown = flavor. Move away from the pan for a minute - it's ok, really!)
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, corn starch, soy, hoisin, rice vinegar and chili garlic paste; set aside.
  5. Once turkey is browned and bits and pieces are sticking to the pan, add in green beans and broth/soy mixture.
  6. Saute 3-4 minutes then add water chestnuts and sesame oil.
  7. Cook an additional minute or two then serve. Great with brown rice.
Excellent source of Vitamin C
Serving size: 1 Calories: 211 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: .3g Carbohydrates: 16.5g Sodium: 640mg Fiber: 3.8g Protein: 31g Cholesterol: 70mg

Comments

We make this all the time and as you can probably understand as a food blogger, I don’t make a lot of the same meals over and over. Let me know what you think!! Feel free to dial up the spice if your family can handle. :) Enjoy!!!

1. Carla Haddock says

Delicious! Hubby and I are doing our best to eat healthier. This one got a “that was delicious – we could eat like that all the time!” Recipe is a must try!

2. Mar says

Made this tonight. I like it. Didn’t have the chestnuts, but don’t think it made a diff. I added a tiny but of sugar. Will make again for sure.

3. Julie G says

Look delicious. Can Sriracha be used instead of “chili garlic paste”? Where do you find chili garlic paste (brand?)?.
    Thanks for such a quick, easy and healthy recipe, I cannot wait to try it!

Hi Julie! I just added a link to the chili garlic paste so that you can now find it right on Amazon! Otherwise, you can find it in most major grocery stores or Asian markets. If you can’t get your hands on it, I would skip it and just add sriracha before serving (or serve it with sriracha on the table.) Hope that helps! Enjoy!!

Found on Pinterest, looking for something to do with ground turkey, I made this tonight. I was super impressed by how quickly it came together (LOVED the tip about the potato masher with the turkey, that was awesome!), and then even more impressed at how yummy and fresh it was. It will definitely be a staple in my repertoire! Thanks, I’m excited to try your other recipes!

5. joan says

I just made this and it is delicious! I happened to have some well cooked cauliflower and I heated that up and mashed it up and pretended it was rice and wow was it good! No carb dinner!

6. Natalie says

Made this last night with ground pork we had in the freezer. Delicious and easy, too! Not too spicy for my 5 year old either. Kids did ask me to make the green beans softer next time. Will probably steam them for a couple of minutes before adding to the wok.

Oh I’m so glad to hear that Natalie!! And funny enough, it’s on our meal plan this week as well. :) Let me know if you try any other recipes!!

7. Denise says

I made this tonight, with fresh hoisin and chili paste and OMGoodness, it is sooooooo yummy! I don’t have sesame oil, so used canola instead.
    I haven’t done it as directed, so I can’t comment on the difference.

That sounds so delicious!! So glad you enjoyed it! Try the sesame oil next time – it really takes it to the next level.

8. Ken says

I just tried this – very good, and dead simple. I was afraid it would be too bland, because I like bold dishes, but this one had plenty of flavor. I substituted a bag of frozen, mixed veggies for the green beans, omitted the water chestnuts (didn’t have any) and used regular vinegar. Thanks for the recipe!!

9. Cathy says

Awesome! I didn’t have hoisin sauce and it was still outstanding! One of the best recipes I’ve come across. Thank you!

10. Belinda Sanchez says

Love this…..making it tonight for the first time. Only problem….I can’t seem to get it spicy enough LOL