Berry Spinach Protein Smoothie

Berry Spinach Protein Smoothie - The Lemon Bowl

In my experience, I’ve found that the key to maintaining healthy eating goals and resolutions is to master a few fast and easy recipes. Simple and delicious recipes that you can go back to again and again.

Mornings are a busy time – we have children to feed, jobs to get ready for, Facebook and Twitter to check…. oh wait. ;-)

If I had to pick one healthy breakfast recipe to suggest for busy people without a lot of time in the morning it would, hands down, be my Berry Spinach Protein Smoothie. Don’t get me wrong, I love smoothies of all varieties, but this Berry Spinach Smoothie is the one I’m currently obsessed with and I think you will be too.

Smoothies are an ideal healthy breakfast for many reasons:

1) You can toss ingredients in the blender the night before, refrigerate overnight and blend with ice in the morning.
2) Short on time? Throw the entire smoothie in a portable cup and get on with your Facebook reading, I mean busy day. ;-)
3) By nature, they take longer to consume which gives the brain the extra time to register fullness. You’ll feel more satisfied and not like a Sad Sally drinking her January green smoothie.
4) Great use for any fruits or vegetables you have on hand – frozen berries, oranges, baby kale, frozen peaches, mango, parsley, go crazy!
5) Low calorie source of protein and fiber which means you will have lasting energy and won’t be hungry an hour later.

Ready to blend?

Your straw is waiting.

Berry Spinach Smoothie

• Serving size: 1
  • Saturated fat: .1 g
  • Unsaturated fat: 2.8 g
  • Carbohydrates: 44.5 g
  • Fiber: 9.5 g
  • Protein: 24.8 g
  • Cholesterol: 0
Recipe type: Breakfast, Drink
Creamy and delicious smoothie packed with protein and fiber to give you lasting energy.
  • 1 cup mixed berries - frozen
  • ½ banana
  • ½ cup Greek yogurt (0% fat)
  • 1 scoop protein powder
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger - optional
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • handful ice
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Depending on the strength of your blender, you may wish to puree everything but the ice first and then add the ice for a final pulse.

Comments

Thanks so much Kim!!! When I had my son, they became a necessity. I love that they can sit for awhile. :-) Have a great week!

It’s so true!! Plus, I swear my son wants to eat whatever I am eating so he always drinks a good amount of mine – lol.

Let me know what you think, Carrian! I don’t have a big sweet tooth so I love the tartness that the berries bring.

The berries are darker than the baby spinach so it never turns totally green!! Also, I add cinnamon for extra flavor and antioxidants which also prevents it from looking green. :-) Put it in a fun colored to-go cup/straw they also can’t tell the color! :-)

I love making smoothies in the morning, but never thought to prep everything in the blender and leave it in the fridge overnight. So smart! I’m always up for a new tip to give me more time to sleep :)

This could fit right in to my current smoothie addiction! I keep meaning to add spinach in and haven’t yet–looks so tasty. :) Also, I love fresh ginger in smoothies and tea…so good.

You’ve gotta try it – I swear you won’t taste it!! My son and husband love green smoothies and trust me, they aren’t drinking them for the health benefits. ;-)

YOU ROCK. This smoothie recipe is what I needed (especially the tips). I always make my smoothies in the mornings but it’s SO loud that I can’t do it on the weekends cause I’ll wake up the fiancé. So smart to make it the night before then blend it in the morning with ice or just drink it without the ice – it’s still cold, right?! I need to get some protein powder – I’m sure it’d keep me fuller. I need to get back on track with my diet. Which, I was actually thinking about you a lot today and I need to email you soon. You seem like a great motivator ;)

So funny about waking your fiance!! I’ve never actually tried blending it the night before since I always add ice in the morning but it will most definitely still be cold. And yes, the protein powder is a must or else you’ll be hungry five seconds later. If you workout, it’s especially key. Shoot me an email any time!! Would be happy to motivate. :-) xoxo

Ginger tastes so good with the berries (or peaches or any fruit) and it is a natural digestive aid. The cinnamon has a ton of antioxidants (plus good flavor) and the flax seed is obviously great for you. Let me know what you think Megan!

I’ve been ‘free-stylin’ my smoothies lately and they have been less than delicious. Thanks for a great recipe that I can follow to get me back on track! I was hunting for a green one with berries–thanks! :)

Hi Liz! Sorry, if you have posted this somewhere already, but what type of protein powder do you recommend? And would it be beneficial to do a smoothie more than once a day…to really help with weight loss? Thanks a bunch!

Hi Casey! Great question and one I get all the time. So much so in fact that I have a tab on my main page called “Shop” where I link to all of my favorite ingredients, gadgets and more through Amazon. Here’s the link in case you can’t find it: http://astore.amazon.com/thlebo-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1 BioChem is my favorite protein powder and we use it daily!! As for having a smoothie more than once a day – I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that but personally I would get bored and give up. To lose weight, just try to cut 500 calories a day (or burn 500 calories or split the difference cutting 250 and burning 250.) Of course I am not a medical professional so I can’t give out specific weight loss advice. :-)

Thank you so much!!! :) I’ve never counted calories…guess I’ve just been intimidated to do that for some reason.

Thanks for the advice!

6. Pat says

Loved the recipe! we exchanged the greek yogurt for protein powder and the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice…… and will definitely make it again.. Thanks!!