This high protein healthy breakfast is not only delicious but a perfect source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids. The perfect sandwich to jump start your day!
One of the hidden perks of growing up around all of my aunts, uncles and cousins is that we always had fabulous food when my parents went out of town on vacation! Every Winter, my Aunt Paula and Uncle Randy would move in to our house for a week while my parents got away. Most mornings, my aunt would have perfectly prepared egg sandwiches waiting for us in a warm oven. I repeat: she had egg sandwiches. Waiting for us. In a warm oven. I am so lucky.
Today’s recipe is a new twist on an old classic with the addition of avocado. Loaded in healthy fats, avocado is a delicious source of mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
Frequently asked questions:
Are avocados good for your diet?
Eating avocados can actually help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase HDL (good) cholesterol.
Are an excellent source of vitamin E which helps protect our skin from free radicals
A great source of folate and are loaded in phytonutrients and antioxidants which helps inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
Your fork is waiting.
Avocado Egg Sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ avocado (sliced)
- 1 slice sharp cheddar (2%)
- 1 slice ham
- 3 slices onion (thin sliced)
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Toast bread and heat a frying pan over medium high.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray and add egg.
- After about 30 seconds, use spatula to gently break the yolk (so that you don’t end up with an overly messy sandwich.)
- After about 2 minutes, flip the egg and turn off the heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with cheese slice.
- Remove from pan and place pan back on medium-high heat.
- Cook the ham for about 60 seconds per side then place on top of the egg/cheese.
- Spread avocado on one side of the toast and top with onion slices.
- Spread mayo on the other piece of toast and top with egg/cheese/ham. Enjoy!