This Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal is a simple way to make a quick and hearty breakfast on the stovetop in 7 minutes.
I am always looking for something quick and healthy in the morning for breakfast. As a working mom with kids to get off to school, I don’t have a lot of time to prepare something big. For those busy mornings where you find you’re running late, oatmeal is the perfect food, as it’s so easy to make in advance. The varieties are endless and it can be ready in just minutes! A recent favorite of mine is this Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal, and it’s a hit with my kids, too.
- Milk: I use skim milk, but you can use any kind of milk and it adds a creaminess to the oatmeal. To make this dish vegan, use almond or oat milk.
- Water: Cooks the oats and softens the consistency.
- Vanilla: Adds a natural sweetness to the oatmeal.
- Cinnamon: Paired with the vanilla and nutmeg, it’s both sweet and savory flavor its deliciouls with the apples.
- Nutmeg: Warm and nutty, it’s frequently paired with cinnamon and other fall flavors.
- Salt: Just a pinch is all you need and it balances out the flavors.
- Oats: Naturally gluten-free and high in fiber and protein, I use old-fashioned oats for a filling, healthy breakfast.
- Banana: The best fruit for naturally sweetening anything, it soft, creamy texture contrasts the crisp apple.
- Apple: Sweet and slightly tart, I like to use a honeycrisp, gala, or fuji apple.
- Flax seed: While it has no flavor, it adds great nutritional value like fiber and omega-3s.
- Walnuts: Adds additional protein and crunch to the oatmeal.
How to Make Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal
Start your Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal by preparing your bananas and apples. I like to keep the peel on my apple, but you can peel it first if you prefer. If you have other fruit in season or on sale at your grocery store, use that instead!
Next you’ll add the milk and water to a medium to large saucepan.
Whisk in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pinch of salt before bringing to a boil.
Once boiling, add in your oats, banana, and apple, saving some of the fruit to put on top. Once it’s boiling again, lower to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flax seed and walnuts during the last minute and then remove from heat.
Portion into a bowl, top with more fresh fruit and additional milk for creaminess, and enjoy your Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What fruit is best for oatmeal?
Any fresh fruit is delicious in oatmeal. Apples and banana like this recipe, but any sort of berry, as well as peaches and pears are all great!
Should I avoid oatmeal to lose weight?
Nope! Oatmeal is full of fiber and protein, which helps you feel fuller for longer, which can help you cut on calories and lose weight!
Can I make oatmeal in advance?
Yes! Make it as normal, put it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge, then reheat in the microwave or on the stove before eating.
- Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Pumpkin Banana Oatmeal
- Ginger Berry Fruit Smoothie
- Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
- Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats
Did you try this oatmeal recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Whether you make it in advance or morning of, my Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal will keep you full and satisfied, while being tasty, too.
Your spoon is waiting.
Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal
- In a pot over medium heat, wisk together milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil gradually and add in oats, banana and apple.
- Heat mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir frequently and add flax and walnuts during the last minute.
- Serve when oatmeal has reached desired consistency.