This Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal is a simple way to make a quick and hearty breakfast on the stovetop in 7 minutes.
I am always looking for something quick but healthy in the morning for breakfast. As a busy working mom with kids to get off to school, I don’t have a lot of time to prepare something big.
And then there’s oatmeal. Oatmeal is the perfect food, I’m sure of it. The varieties are endless and it is ready in just minutes.
Today I used apples and bananas for this delicious and hearty Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal, but this recipe works with just about anything you have in the house.
I recommend using in-season produce for your oatmeal toppings for convenience, better flavor, nutrients, and cost savings. You can easily find which items are in season for you by looking at this super cute chart.
Here is my key formula to follow when making a healthy oatmeal breakfast: Oats (whole grain/fiber) + Milk (protein/calcium) + Fruit (vitamins) + Nuts (protein/healthy fat) + Flaxseed (omega-3’s) = Happy Breakfast
Oats are naturally a gluten-free whole grain. They’re an excellent source of vitamins and minerals as well as fiber and antioxidants. They have a large range of health benefits such as weight loss, lower blood sugar levels, and a reduced risk of heart disease.
Your spoon is waiting.
Apple Banana Nut Oatmeal
- In a pot over medium heat, wisk together milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil gradually and add in oats, banana and apple.
- Heat mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir frequently and add flax and walnuts during the last minute.
- Serve when oatmeal has reached desired consistency.