Blueberry Banana muffins are moist, fluffy, and bursting with freshness while the coconut oil adds a subtle flavor that pairs perfectly with the blueberries.
Blueberries make me happy, especially when they are freshly picked down the road from my house. If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know that between farmers’ market trips and a recent blueberry picking adventure I am in berry heaven this time of year! Truly, I can’t freeze them fast enough – that is if my son doesn’t eat them all first!
Blueberries are the perfect food in my opinion. I mean really, what other food tastes like candy without any alteration but is packed with antioxidants, fiber, and minerals? Ok fine, cherries. But still. :)
Blueberry Banana Flaxseed Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose white flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberry yogurt low fat, plain or vanilla work too
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil softened but not melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin pan with baking cups or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour through salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt, banana, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula and mix until just combined. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly into each muffin tin - a large ice cream scoop works well for this. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for several minutes before removing from the pan.