These quick and easy grilled shrimp tacos with cabbage slaw are ready in 15 minutes! Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
A lot of people get into Taco Tuesday but why should we limit tacos to just one day a week? Quick-cooking, versatile, affordable and kid-friendly, I love turning whatever meat, seafood, or veggies we have on hand into a quick and easy taco dinner. My oldest is a huge seafood lover so I almost always have a bag of frozen shrimp stocked in the freezer for last-minute dinners like these Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw. It’s pretty common knowledge that here in Michigan, as long as there’s no snow on my grill, I’m probably outside making dinner on it.
- Shrimp: Plump and juicy bite-sized shellfish, shrimp is a great source of protein and an accessible seafood.
- Garlic: Pungent and aromatic, it sweetens up as it cooks and balances out some of the spicy flavors on the shrimp.
- Olive oil: Used to both marinate the shrimp and dress the slaw, olive oil is heart healthy and mild flavored.
- Lime juice: Along with the olive oil, this bright, acidic flavor is used in the marinade and the dressing of the slaw.
- Warm spices: The shrimp are seasoned with a delicious blend of cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and oregano. If you like it spicy, you could also add chili powder.
- Tortillas: I like to use corn tortillas for my tacos, but you could use flour tortillas as well.
- Cabbage: I love the bright color that purple cabbage gives to the slaw, but green cabbage or even iceberg lettuce would work.
- Carrots: Shredded carrots add more crunch and sweetness to the slaw.
- Green onions: Also called scallions, they add a mild onion flavor to the slaw and tacos.
- Cilantro: Unless you have that gene that makes it taste like soap, cilantro adds a fresh, lemony flavor.
How to Make Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
Start your Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw by making the marinade for your shrimp. In a large bowl, grate your garlic (or you could also use garlic paste).
Then add the fresh lime juice.
Next add the cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne to the bowl.
Then season with some salt and black pepper to taste.
Finish with some olive oil before whisking together until fully combined.
Add your raw shrimp to the bowl and toss until they’re all coated in the marinade. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
Then using a grill basket or pan, grill your shrimp on high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side.
While the shrimp is marinating and grilling, make your cabbage slaw by shredding your cabbage, grating the carrots, and mincing the green onion.
Then in a large bowl, add all your veggies together.
Dress your slaw with more fresh lime juice.
Along with some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Toss it all together until the dressing is evenly dispersed throughout. Top it off with some cilantro.
Whenever I make tacos, I always heat my tortillas over an open flame or on the griddle. Wait until right before making the tacos and serving to heat up your tortillas.
Once tortillas are heated through, take your grilled shrimp and lay them in a line across the tortillas.
Top each row of shrimp with the cabbage slaw.
Garnish with fresh peppers or fresh lime wedges, and serve immediately. Enjoy your Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw!
Favorite Taco Toppings
If you want to lay out a big spread with lots of options for your family, then here are some of my favorite potential toppings:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Pico de gallo
- Cotija cheese
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do you grill shrimp in shell or out?
You can grill shrimp in or out of the shell. I prefer to deshell my shrimp first as it lets the marinade penetrate the meat better than with the shell on.
What is a good side dish with tacos?
Does shrimp have a lot of carbs?
No, shrimp are essentially carb-free.
More Simple Seafood
- Grilled Shrimp Shawarma Skewers
- Easy Pan Seared Salmon
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Whitefish
- Baked Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this shrimp dish? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
Quick, delicious, and fairly mess-free, my Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw is the perfect summertime, weeknight dinner.
No forks required.
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- Heat a grill on high heat.
- In a small bowl, toss together shrimp with next six ingredients (garlic stir-in paste through cayenne.) Grill shrimp on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until bright pink.
- While shrimp are grilling, toss together cabbage slaw in a medium bowl. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve shrimp in warmed tortillas and top with slaw to serve.